How did you make sure you want to go to Law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lxwind

New

How did you make sure you want to go to Law school?

Post by Lxwind » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Just curious. Especially for K-JDs. I don't know how I can possibly be 100% sure about JD before having the chance to work closely with lawyers, etc. I got all the numbers I need now but I guess I will probably work for a year and decide whether to apply next cycle. I cross-registered for a class in law school, talked to current students, law professors and and recently-graduated lawyers...I know I probably like law, and I can definitely get into one of the T13s with my numbers. I just don't know if being a lawyer is truly a good idea for me. Curious to learn about your stories...any insight would be helpful. Thanks a lot!!

Aleksander

New

Re: How did you make sure you want to go to Law school?

Post by Aleksander » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Lxwind wrote:Just curious. Especially for K-JDs. I don't know how I can possibly be 100% sure about JD before having the chance to work closely with lawyers, etc. I got all the numbers I need now but I guess I will probably work for a year and decide whether to apply next cycle. I cross-registered for a class in law school, talked to current students, law professors and and recently-graduated lawyers...I know I probably like law, and I can definitely get into one of the T13s with my numbers. I just don't know if being a lawyer is truly a good idea for me. Curious to learn about your stories...any insight would be helpful. Thanks a lot!!

I was deciding between med school and law school after sophomore year. I did some volunteer work at the hospital one summer and the following summer worked at a local law firm as a clerk.

I immediately realized law was more for me. The summer after my junior year, I interned at another law office, and that solidified my decision to pursue law.

Make sure you REALLY get a chance to see what lawyers do.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 am

I hated everything else more
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:00 am

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am

Lxwind wrote:Just curious. Especially for K-JDs. I don't know how I can possibly be 100% sure about JD before having the chance to work closely with lawyers, etc. I got all the numbers I need now but I guess I will probably work for a year and decide whether to apply next cycle. I cross-registered for a class in law school, talked to current students, law professors and and recently-graduated lawyers...I know I probably like law, and I can definitely get into one of the T13s with my numbers. I just don't know if being a lawyer is truly a good idea for me. Curious to learn about your stories...any insight would be helpful. Thanks a lot!!
I took three years off and couldn't stop thinking about it. I know you're looking for K-JD responses and I understand sometimes taking time off isn't feasible, but if it is, I would really recommend it. I feel so much better and confident about applying than I would have straight out of college, and I'm actually excited to go back to school (I was SUPER burned out after college). Regardless, tons of my friends went straight through and loved it- if that's what you decide to do, I wish you the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Aleksander wrote:

I was deciding between med school and law school after sophomore year. I did some volunteer work at the hospital one summer and the following summer worked at a local law firm as a clerk.

I immediately realized law was more for me. The summer after my junior year, I interned at another law office, and that solidified my decision to pursue law.

Make sure you REALLY get a chance to see what lawyers do.
Thanks!

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:33 pm

rachelac wrote:
I took three years off and couldn't stop thinking about it. I know you're looking for K-JD responses and I understand sometimes taking time off isn't feasible, but if it is, I would really recommend it. I feel so much better and confident about applying than I would have straight out of college, and I'm actually excited to go back to school (I was SUPER burned out after college). Regardless, tons of my friends went straight through and loved it- if that's what you decide to do, I wish you the best.
A year off is quite feasible so I guess I would do it. Thanks!

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am

Jobs I wanted were generally held by lawyers. Also, I felt I would have wanted it no matter what else I did. And I was better at the LSAT and law school admission stuff than that of any other type of grad school.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

unicorntamer666

New

Post by unicorntamer666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:43 pm

work as a paralegal

Yulifus

New

Post by Yulifus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:24 pm

I've been a paralegal for a couple of years, and there were times when I had to deal with attorneys who either didn't know s*** or had no business being attorneys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”