Columbia vs UT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dallinpackard

New

Columbia vs UT

Post by dallinpackard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:33 pm

I'm at a 3.58(ish, waiting on one transcript to confirm that) and a 172 LSAT score. I am planning on going into patent law (I am an EE major from BYU) in Houston, Texas. Would I be better off going to a top school (such as Columbia or NYU or Chicago) and acrue ~$300,000 of debt, or go to UT most likely nearly debt free?
Last edited by dallinpackard on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: Columbia vs UT

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 pm

1) Judgeship is a pie in the sky dream and should be in no way factored into your decision. There are so many much more important things that will happen from the time you graduate law school to your theoretical appointment that will have a much bigger impact than if you went to UT vs. Columbia.

2) You should not be going $300,000 into debt at any law school. Quite frankly, that's stupid.

3) Why are you fixated on Columbia, Chicago, and NYU? Take your 172 3.58 to Cornell, Duke, or Northwestern and get both significantly higher biglaw chances than UT and a nice sized scholarship (instead of $0 or a considerably lower scholarship at CCN). If biglaw is a short-term career plan, you do not want to be burdened with a high debt load. It'll force you to stay in big law far longer than you want, and you'll pay back more money in student loans that you realistically should. Why pay back $300,000 for biglaw when you could have a nearly identical chance for $150,000?

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:49 pm

That makes sense. The $300,000 would be for all expenses, not just tuition, but I still think that's a bit ridiculous, especially if I don't plan on staying in Biglaw. Okay, so then my question would be: Would a slightly higher ranked school such as Northwestern or Cornell place better in Houston than UT? UT is lower, but it's in Texas. Wouldn't that play a major factor? I'm pretty set on working in Houston.

teleste

New

Post by teleste » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:50 pm

There is no planet on this side of Kolob where taking out $300k of debt to attend law school is a good idea.

If I were you, I would go and do the things that UT commands, for I know UT gives so much less debt to the children of men, and still prepares a way for them that they may achieve the desired outcomes of their legal careers.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Apply to CLS, UT, and all the schools ranked in between.

Once you have several acceptances and financial aid offers in hand, start a new thread and ask for advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 am

teleste wrote:There is no planet on this side of Kolob where taking out $300k of debt to attend law school is a good idea.

If I were you, I would go and do the things that UT commands, for I know UT gives so much less debt to the children of men, and still prepares a way for them that they may achieve the desired outcomes of their legal careers.

LOL I appreciate this very much:p

I'll definitely make a new thread once I have acceptances and scholarships, but I can't help but ask now:p

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 am

dallinpackard wrote:
teleste wrote:There is no planet on this side of Kolob where taking out $300k of debt to attend law school is a good idea.

LOL I appreciate this very much:p

I'll definitely make a new thread once I have acceptances and scholarships, but I can't help but ask now:p
Well, if the choice ends up CLS at sticker vs UT with full ride for an EE guy who wants to do patent law in Houston, then the answer will be "full ride at UT." And it wouldn't be a close question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”