Retake LSAT? Chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
181plz

Bronze

Retake LSAT? Chances?

Post by 181plz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I have three general questions:
1. What are my chances in the t13 generally, and at Columbia/NYU specifically?
2. Is it worthwhile to take the LSAT one more time in December to potentially help with waitlists/$$? Applications should already be out by then.
3. How urgently must my apps be sent out? Can I take until the end of the month?

I have a 3.40 GPA. I took the LSAT four times maxing out at 172 this September.

I have some decent work experience and AmeriCorps service as well, but no exceptional softs.

cavalier1138

Re: Retake LSAT? Chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 pm

1. Not bad. Better shot at NYU than Columbia, probably.
2. At this point, an extra point or two isn't going to make a huge difference, because you're at or over the 75th for every school you have a reasonable chance at. If you had a higher GPA, I'd say go for it, but everything after 173 at this point isn't going to move the needle much.
3. You should be getting them together, but by the end of the month is probably fine. Everything before Thanksgiving break is "early".

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:1. Not bad. Better shot at NYU than Columbia, probably.
2. At this point, an extra point or two isn't going to make a huge difference, because you're at or over the 75th for every school you have a reasonable chance at. If you had a higher GPA, I'd say go for it, but everything after 173 at this point isn't going to move the needle much.
3. You should be getting them together, but by the end of the month is probably fine. Everything before Thanksgiving break is "early".

Could another take make the difference for Columbia? Their 75th was 173

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:34 pm

181plz wrote:

I thought it dropped this year?

If it's still 173, then yes, it might make a difference. So if you're really set on Columbia, go for it.

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
181plz wrote:

If it's still 173, then yes, it might make a difference. So if you're really set on Columbia, go for it.

Could it look bad having a total of 5 attempts? None of my scores were sub 160

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:22 pm

181plz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
181plz wrote:

Could it look bad having a total of 5 attempts? None of my scores were sub 160
No one could reasonably answer this because there has never been a cycle where there has ever been more than three takes on a candidate's record of valid LSAT scores. Rule changes might change the way schools approach LSATs, but that's unlikely considering the LSAT is being marginalized, not made more important to average.

You're wringing your hands unnecessarily. Your number profile is a 172/3.4 as it stands. If you improve to a 17[insert higher than 2]/3.4, your chances will improve, if anything. But they might be exactly the same.

Use myLSN, and conservatively extrapolate your chances based on those searches. If 18 people with your numbers get in to Columbia/NYU and 7 get WLed (I've entirely made up these numbers), work under the assumption that you might get WLed. Improve your number profile, and see what happens, while still looking at the numbers conservatively.

Also, broaden your horizon beyond Columbia/NYU. There are next to 0 reasons for focusing on those schools primarily* (primary care provider for a family member in NYC is the only one I can reasonably imagine).

Edit: realized you asked about T13 generally, but the point still generally stands. And the rest still applies to all of the T13.

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. The reason I’m interested in Columbia/NYU is that id like to practice in nyc and my wife would prefer to not have to move again in 3 years. I’m pretty sure I’d be willing to pass up on some scholarship $ in order for us to achieve both goals. However, will registering for the Lsat cause other schools to put my app on hold?

I’m thinking I’ll register for the LSAT and send all my apps except Columbia, but I don’t want other schools to wait for my new Lsat score

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Bump, would really appreciate any insight as to whether or not registering for the LSAT will affect the way schools process my applications

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 pm

181plz wrote:Thanks for the replies. The reason I’m interested in Columbia/NYU is that id like to practice in nyc and my wife would prefer to not have to move again in 3 years. I’m pretty sure I’d be willing to pass up on some scholarship $ in order for us to achieve both goals. However, will registering for the Lsat cause other schools to put my app on hold?

I’m thinking I’ll register for the LSAT and send all my apps except Columbia, but I don’t want other schools to wait for my new Lsat score
Given that significant scholarship money at CLS/NYU is unlikely with your GPA, you might end up paying quite the premium to live in NYC. Your insistence on attending CLS/NYU instead of a T14 w/money could easily cost you $150K over three years. I understand not wanting to move twice, but, uh, you could do a lot with that money.

As for your question about the effects of registering for the LSAT, my impression is that most schools don't hold your app, but, if you want to be sure, call up the admissions offices of the schools you're most concerned about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”