Apply before a retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tavorak

Apply before a retake?

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:57 pm

My September score wasn't what I wanted but it's good enough for most of the schools I'm looking at. I'm retaking in December but should I go ahead and apply now? If I apply now, should I write an addendum about another score coming or will they see that I'm registered?
From my own observations on LSN and from some articles, my understanding is that applying earlier for T-14 schools is pretty significant.

I'm at 170/3.57 and applying to Michigan, Duke, Virginia, Penn, Northwestern, and Cornell. Also, I want to do ED to UChicago; it's a reach, but LSN says there's a chance.

Mullens

Re: Apply before a retake?

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Tavorak wrote:My September score wasn't what I wanted but it's good enough for most of the schools I'm looking at. I'm retaking in December but should I go ahead and apply now? If I apply now, should I write an addendum about another score coming or will they see that I'm registered?
From my own observations on LSN and from some articles, my understanding is that applying earlier for T-14 schools is pretty significant.

I'm at 170/3.57 and applying to Michigan, Duke, Virginia, Penn, Northwestern, and Cornell. Also, I want to do ED to UChicago; it's a reach, but LSN says there's a chance.

Uh don't ED UChicago unless you're wealthy enough that you don't really care about lighting tens of thousands of dollars on fire and can pay $300,000 for law school.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Mullens wrote:
Tavorak wrote:My September score wasn't what I wanted but it's good enough for most of the schools I'm looking at. I'm retaking in December but should I go ahead and apply now? If I apply now, should I write an addendum about another score coming or will they see that I'm registered?

Uh don't ED UChicago unless you're wealthy enough that you don't really care about lighting tens of thousands of dollars on fire and can pay $300,000 for law school.

I wouldn't, but the scholarship money I'll get at the other schools would save me about $60,000 (I know that's still a lot). Either way I'm going in debt, but Chicago's ATL ranking seems like it will more than offset the additional cost down the road. Also, I was fortunate enough to not have any debt from undergrad.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Tavorak wrote:
Mullens wrote:

I wouldn't, but the scholarship money I'll get at the other schools would save me about $60,000 (I know that's still a lot). Either way I'm going in debt, but Chicago's ATL ranking seems like it will more than offset the additional cost down the road. Also, I was fortunate enough to not have any debt from undergrad.

Yeah you don't know that. I got in to NU ED with similar numbers years ago so I saved like $175k+ when you consider interest and origination fees.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Mullens wrote:
Tavorak wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Yeah you don't know that. I got in to NU ED with similar numbers years ago so I saved like $175k+ when you consider interest and origination fees.

Regardless of that, can/should I apply now even though I'm retaking? Do I need an addendum?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I'd apply now with no addendum.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Rigo wrote:I'd apply now with no addendum.

Can they see that I'm taking it in December?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Tavorak wrote:

Yes

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Tavorak wrote:Chicago's ATL ranking seems like it will more than offset the additional cost down the road.

Holy fuck no.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tavorak wrote:Chicago's ATL ranking seems like it will more than offset the additional cost down the road.

Holy fuck no.

Missed this part. Don't ED.

blackmamba8

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Rigo wrote:
Tavorak wrote:

Yes

Will schools wait to review your application if they see you're retaking?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Tavorak wrote:

Yes

Will schools wait to review your application if they see you're retaking?

Some do, or so I've heard. Probably if you're borderline initially though.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Rigo wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Holy fuck no.

Missed this part. Don't ED.

What about UChicago sticker vs partial scholarship (~60,000) to Michigan?
It seems like my only shot is ED. Is Chicago not much better than the others?

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Tavorak wrote:It seems like my only shot is ED. Is Chicago not much better than the others?

ED won't help you so it's really a non-issue.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 pm

icechicken wrote:
Tavorak wrote:It seems like my only shot is ED. Is Chicago not much better than the others?

LSN shows it helping and Powerscore lists Chicago as having one of the highest ED boosts

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Tavorak wrote:
icechicken wrote:

LSN shows it helping and Powerscore lists Chicago as having one of the highest ED boosts

http://mylsn.info/hjrv5u/

I don't see anyone getting in, ED or no, with your numbers or worse.

ED might help splitters, especially if they're applying from UChicago undergrad through the special pipeline they have (this program, I imagine, is the main driver behind that Powerscore number), but you're not a splitter. You'd just be a net negative on Chicago's GPA median, which they treasure.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 pm

icechicken wrote:
Tavorak wrote:
icechicken wrote:

http://mylsn.info/hjrv5u/

I don't see anyone getting in, ED or no, with your numbers or worse.

ED might help splitters, especially if they're applying from UChicago undergrad through the special pipeline they have (this program, I imagine, is the main driver behind that Powerscore number), but you're not a splitter. You'd just be a net negative on Chicago's GPA median, which they treasure.

Yeah that's fair. So basically I have nothing to lose besides a hole in my bank account for a while. Although I'm more and more interested in PI and they have LRAP.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:32 am

Tavorak wrote:Yeah that's fair. So basically I have nothing to lose besides a hole in my bank account for a while. Although I'm more and more interested in PI and they have LRAP.

The entire T13 has LRAP. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your own research and find out the difference between LRAP at Columbia and Northwestern (for example), but I really don't get this fixation on UChicago, especially if you're really interested in PI. So let's back up...

What do you want to do with your degree?

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tavorak wrote:Yeah that's fair. So basically I have nothing to lose besides a hole in my bank account for a while. Although I'm more and more interested in PI and they have LRAP.

The entire T13 has LRAP. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your own research and find out the difference between LRAP at Columbia and Northwestern (for example), but I really don't get this fixation on UChicago, especially if you're really interested in PI. So let's back up...

What do you want to do with your degree?

I'm not exactly sure yet. I just figured there was a big enough difference between Chicago and Michigan or Duke as far as recognition and opportunity to be worth the extra money.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Tavorak wrote:I'm not exactly sure yet. I just figured there was a big enough difference between Chicago and Michigan or Duke as far as recognition and opportunity to be worth the extra money.

Nah.

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Rigo wrote:
Tavorak wrote:I'm not exactly sure yet. I just figured there was a big enough difference between Chicago and Michigan or Duke as far as recognition and opportunity to be worth the extra money.

Nah.

Is it pretty much just HYS and the rest of the T14?

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Tavorak wrote:Is it pretty much just HYS and the rest of the T14?

That's a justifiable way to look at it, sure, although people around here would clip it down to T13 nowadays.

Whether that's the correct way to look at it depends, again, on your goals.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Tavorak wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Nah.

You don't have goals so it's hard to comment on "opportunity" differences. You'll probably end up in biglaw without clear PI/govt goals and there isn't a meaningful difference between UChi and the rest of the T13 in biglaw placement that warrants paying sticker over $$ at another school.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Tavorak wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Nah.

It really depends on what you want to do. And since you don't know what you want to do, it's an impossible question to answer right now. Can you at least articulate why you want to go to law school?

Tavorak

Postby Tavorak » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tavorak wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Nah.

It really depends on what you want to do. And since you don't know what you want to do, it's an impossible question to answer right now. Can you at least articulate why you want to go to law school?

I wanted to do corporate law (mergers/acquisitions/patents/tax) since I have a business background and I thought I would enjoy that more than just being an analyst, but a family friend works in PI and I've developed more of an appreciation for what he does. I won't say "this is what I'm going to do" considering I haven't taken a single class yet, but I'd like a school that keeps my options open in terms of practice and geography.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”