Job Termination Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
urmlaw17

Bronze

Job Termination Addendum

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Has anyone done a job termination addendum for a law school?

I am scared of truly saying that I was terminated for making two mistakes for two different projects.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Re: Job Termination Addendum

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:Has anyone done a job termination addendum for a law school?

I am scared of truly saying that I was terminated for making two mistakes for two different projects and arriving late to work around 3 times.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
I don't think you need to write an addedum. Some apps give a space of a few words to mention "reason for leaving" but that's generally optional.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm

appind wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:
I don't think you need to write an addedum. Some apps give a space of a few words to mention "reason for leaving" but that's generally optional.

UC Davis requires it. :(

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:UC Davis requires it. :(
What's the exact wording on the Davis app?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
3. Have you ever been involuntarily dismissed or terminated from employment?

This section is required because you answered 'yes' in section Sanctions to question number 3.

If you have ever been involuntarily dismissed or terminated from employment, you must provide a statement explaining the circumstances.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

This section is required because you answered 'yes' in section Sanctions to question number 3.

If you have ever been involuntarily dismissed or terminated from employment, you must provide a statement explaining the circumstances.
What did the company termination letter say? If it said lay off, then you can simply say that it was a company re-org. Usually companies dont mention mistakes in termination letter.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:30 pm

appind wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

What did the company termination letter say? If it said lay off, then you can simply say that it was a company re-org. Usually companies dont mention mistakes in termination letter.
I actually did not get a letter. I was just told that they don't have a need for me anymore. I packed my stuff and left. My paycheck arrived a few days later.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Did they tell you they didn't have a need for you because you made mistakes on two different projects? because not having a need for you sounds like being laid off, which also suggests you're dwelling unnecessarily on the mistakes you made. Everyone makes mistakes but not all mistakes are fireable.

To address your original question, lots and lots of people get fired at some point in their life. Unless the mistakes you reference were, like, embezzling funds or fraud or something, they are not going to keep you from getting into law school. And if the employer just told you they no longer had a need for you, an appropriate answer would be something like "laid off due to changing employer needs."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nalls96

New

Post by nalls96 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 pm

I am scared of truly saying that I was terminated for making two mistakes for two different projects.
I haven't done one and I've never heard of someone doing one but I would suggest you use what you learned about the experience in your PS and how you improved. Just a thought.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 pm

nalls96 wrote:

I haven't done one and I've never heard of someone doing one but I would suggest you use what you learned about the experience in your PS and how you improved. Just a thought.
I'm trying to put this delicately, but since you're in the process of applying to law school for the first time, maybe don't offer advice based on what you've never done. There are school prompts and situations that merit an in-depth addendum for being terminated from a job. This just doesn't sound like one of them.

And no, this should absolutely not be a PS. Personal statements highlight the applicant's strengths, not their bad performance in a job.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nalls96

New

Post by nalls96 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
nalls96 wrote:

I'm trying to put this delicately, but since you're in the process of applying to law school for the first time, maybe don't offer advice based on what you've never done. There are school prompts and situations that merit an in-depth addendum for being terminated from a job. This just doesn't sound like one of them.

And no, this should absolutely not be a PS. Personal statements highlight the applicant's strengths, not their bad performance in a job.
That can be true as well. I knew of a girl who wrote her ps about her failure at teach for America and how she took lessons from that and applied it to her accomplishments later.she was admitted to Harvard. It only really works if you improve utilizing the lessons learned.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 pm

nalls96 wrote: I knew of a girl who wrote her ps about her failure at teach for America and how she took lessons from that and applied it to her accomplishments later.she was admitted to Harvard.
That doesn't necessarily mean it was a good idea. Maybe if she wrote a better PS she'd have gotten admitted to Yale.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:37 am

nalls96 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
nalls96 wrote:

That can be true as well. I knew of a girl who wrote her ps about her failure at teach for America and how she took lessons from that and applied it to her accomplishments later.she was admitted to Harvard. It only really works if you improve utilizing the lessons learned.
TFA is a well-known program that a non-nominal number of people leave before it ends because it's not right for them. Adcoms already know this so the frame of mind they have while reading a PS about why TFA was wrong for the applicant and how the applicant learned from the experience is different than the frame of mind they'll have around a PS from an applicant talking about why they were fired for some random job. It is easy enough to write the TFA PS in a way that highlights an applicant's strengths while explaining how they grew or learned from the experience; less so for the latter.

This is a long-winded way of saying hat cavalier is right and nobody should waste their PS by highlighting something negative that they likely won't need to include on many apps anyway.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote: To address your original question, lots and lots of people get fired at some point in their life. Unless the mistakes you reference were, like, embezzling funds or fraud or something, they are not going to keep you from getting into law school. And if the employer just told you they no longer had a need for you, an appropriate answer would be something like "laid off due to changing employer needs."
Yeah Davis is just looking to make sure you didn't do something unethical. Don't sweat it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”