Is it bad to talk about public interest in the PS for Northwestern? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
corgiterrier17

New

Is it bad to talk about public interest in the PS for Northwestern?

Post by corgiterrier17 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Since the school is extremely business oriented, is it a bad idea to talk about social justice and public interest in the personal statement for NU?

cavalier1138

Re: Is it bad to talk about public interest in the PS for Northwestern?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Nope.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admissionstrack

New

Post by admissionstrack » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 pm

PI is never a bad strategy as long as you have the experiences to back it up. Law School Admissions Officers can spot a fake story a mile away. - Admissions Track

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:21 pm

admissionstrack wrote:PI is never a bad strategy as long as you have the experiences to back it up. Law School Admissions Officers can spot a fake story a mile away. - Admissions Track
What if you're a K-JD who is extremely interested in PI but doesn't have any experience? I've spent most of my undergrad pursuing my interest in social justice through theatre/playwriting before realizing that I'd prefer to go the law route. Does this mean anything I say about wanting to go into PI will come off as fake?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I also have had to work in college and over the summers, and spent this summer taking care of my grandma, so really I haven't had much time to demonstrate my interest

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
admissionstrack wrote:PI is never a bad strategy as long as you have the experiences to back it up. Law School Admissions Officers can spot a fake story a mile away. - Admissions Track
What if you're a K-JD who is extremely interested in PI but doesn't have any experience? I've spent most of my undergrad pursuing my interest in social justice through theatre/playwriting before realizing that I'd prefer to go the law route. Does this mean anything I say about wanting to go into PI will come off as fake?
No. Plenty of people who want to go the PI track have a background that isn't directly political or legal. Advocacy through arts, NGOs, etc. is plenty of street cred if you can get it, and the quoted poster is making shit up. No one, least of all the adcomm reading your PS, thinks that it's a binding document that will compel you to follow through on every interest you say is driving you to law school. If everyone were held to that standard, most people wouldn't go to law school.

Also, if the quoted poster keeps "signing" their posts, it's gonna get old real fast.

skatch

New

Post by skatch » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm

dan9257 wrote:Since the school is extremely business oriented, is it a bad idea to talk about social justice and public interest in the personal statement for NU?
No, the school's spending a shitload of money to bolster our public interest program right now. Feel free to talk about it as long as you sound sincere.

Other than the fact we have a lot of JD-MBAs and a really good entrepreneurship clinic, NU's not really "business oriented". At least no more than the other T14s are.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:54 pm

I think maybe a better way to say this is "as long as you have the passion/dedication to back it up." I think the problem is if you write about PI because you think PI will make you look better/noble/high-minded and that's not why you want to go to law school - that's where you'll look fake. I think if your dedication is genuine you're fine.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 am

How much does the interview bolster the candidacy? I'm doing an interview, but with an alum....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”