Am I Allowed to Apply or No? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Penn Ding

New

Am I Allowed to Apply or No?

Post by Penn Ding » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Last cycle, I applied Expedited Decision at T8 and was accepted. I deferred a year to get some work experience and now I'm kind of interested in applying around to different schools this cycle and seeing what happens. I just don't know if I'm allowed to do that because I was I was accepted under a binding decision. The only reason I think I MIGHT be able to do so is because the school that I'm "bound to" said that I need to "reiterate interest" in attending by February. So, I feel like this is kind of gray.

What say you guys?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Am I Allowed to Apply or No?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:50 pm

I think that means you need to tell them if you do, indeed, plan to intend law school *at all* by February - that is, you certainly don't have to go to law school because you were accepted under a binding decision; but if you go to law school, you have to go to their law school.

But really you're going to have look at the specific language of the agreement/ask the school directly.

cavalier1138

Re: Am I Allowed to Apply or No?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But really you're going to have look at the specific language of the agreement/ask the school directly.
^This.

But if the language is binding (as it usually is), you cannot apply elsewhere this cycle. Deferrals aren't a free ticket to do your cycle over but with a guaranteed acceptance as a backup plan.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”