Coming back from a low GPA due to trauma Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hes

New

Coming back from a low GPA due to trauma

Post by hes » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 am

(I'm quite new here, so please forgive me if I haven't posted this in the right place.)

I just started my junior year of college. To make a long story short, I was sexually assaulted two weeks before I started my first year. As a result, my first semester GPA was an unfortunate 2.700. I've since brought it up to a ~3.4, and every semester since shows up an upward trend. I'll hopefully continue to bring it up over the next two years, and currently plan on taking a gap year or two to gain some professional experience before applying. I didn't report anything that happened, but it's since been a large motivator in me wanting to go to law school, especially as of recent.

I'm not asking for chances since it's still early and I haven't taken the LSAT, but I would like to know if this is something that can/should be an explained on my app? Would it be too much to say in a personal statement? Would a gap year help at all to mitigate the low GPA? I'd of course like to do very well on the LSAT - but since I won't be taking that for a while, I'd really like to know what else there is I can do to improve my app in the meantime.

Sprout

Silver

Re: Coming back from a low GPA due to trauma

Post by Sprout » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:50 am

hes wrote:(I'm quite new here, so please forgive me if I haven't posted this in the right place.)

I just started my junior year of college. To make a long story short, I was sexually assaulted two weeks before I started my first year. As a result, my first semester GPA was an unfortunate 2.700. I've since brought it up to a ~3.4, and every semester since shows up an upward trend. I'll hopefully continue to bring it up over the next two years, and currently plan on taking a gap year or two to gain some professional experience before applying. I didn't report anything that happened, but it's since been a large motitor in me wanting to go to law school, especially as of recent.

I'm not asking for chances since it's still early and I haven't taken the LSAT, but I would like to know if this is something that can/should be an explained on my app? Would it be too much to say in a personal statement? Would a gap year help at all to mitigate the low GPA? I'd of course like to do very well on the LSAT - but since I won't be taking that for a while, I'd really like to know what else there is I can do to improve my app in the meantime.
I will tell you that PTSD from sexual assault is a real thing and you might not be feeling the full weight of that yet, I'm sorry for saying that but if you're asking this question I feel obliged to say that.

Cases related to your trauma will make you consciously think you're going to better there and be more happy about the work - but if you're anything like like me, that's not always the case. Ymmv of course

I'm so sorry about what happened to you.If the GPA is the issue, I don't think added info on an addendum is dangerous. I wouldn't over hype it though, even though this is a horrible, absolutely atrocious thing, it is still stigmatized, and you don't want to come across as making excuses or pity-party (even though that is more than fucking warranted.)

PM me if you want. I highly recommend not starting LS right after a trauma like that. I did that, tried to ignore, and ended up in a really negative coping place. There are plenty of resources that might not only help you personally but also accessible, free, confidential, and prep you for a world of stress if you're going into law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”