Thinking About Taking a Gap Year Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
YAPAlex

New

Thinking About Taking a Gap Year

Post by YAPAlex » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:14 pm

So, I'm 19 about to be 20 in a couple days, planning on taking the LSAT in Dec.

I find myself struggling with my coursework (I'm a senior at university) and studying for the LSAT. I have good grades at the moment, all A's, but man is it time consuming and stressful trying to balance that and an LSAT score.

I have been thinking about taking a year off to really study over the summer and kill the September 2018 LSAT. But would that be the right choice to take a gap year? What would I do? I'd be graduating with a (IMO) useless English Degree, and I haven't been really "searching" for jobs since I plan on going to law school.

Would I just lay around and hangout with family and friends?

Help please? Lol Any suggestions or experiences?

Thank you!

chargers21

Gold

Re: Thinking About Taking a Gap Year

Post by chargers21 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:31 pm

You're really young anyways, so I would 100% recommend a gap year. Indeed has a boatload of jobs, search around and I'm sure some sort of entry level job near you will be at least suitable to your expertise and interests

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm

yeah take a gap year. study for the LSAT once you graduate and have a bit more time on your hands. get a job or do an internship or some volunteer work in something that interests you (besides something law related). basically just study and do something else too. or there is always doing nothing besides studying if you have that luxury, I guess but that would be boring as shit (trust me, I know)

best of luck!

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:14 am

Take a year (or more) off. Find a job you find interesting. You could always look for a legal assistant position or a copy editing job as well.

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:57 am

Take a gap year; you'll thank us later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am

Last edited by rachelac on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:46 am

If you're 19 (going on 20), can you still change your major? Or at least take some programming classes or learn some other easily marketable skill? On Upwork, there are even a lot of jobs for copy editing, writing, etc. that would put your English degree to use.

Gap year recommended.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am

mickey_mouse wrote:If you're 19 (going on 20), can you still change your major? Or at least take some programming classes or learn some other easily marketable skill? On Upwork, there are even a lot of jobs for copy editing, writing, etc. that would put your English degree to use.

Gap year recommended.
No reason to take classes that might hurt the gpa if law school is the ultimate goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”