Meeting with T14 Admissions Counselor. What should I ask? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
urmlaw17

Bronze

Meeting with T14 Admissions Counselor. What should I ask?

Post by urmlaw17 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello,

I have a morning meeting with an admissions counselor. I signed up for an appointment and it lasts for 20 minutes. I am pretty nervous.

What questions should I ask? Has anyone ever had a one-on-one meeting with an admissions counselor?

I will treat this meeting as a law school interview. I know not to ask general questions that I can find on the website nor ask if I have a good chance of getting in. I will bring my resume, personal statement, and transcript.

cavalier1138

Re: Meeting with T14 Admissions Counselor. What should I ask?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Why did you schedule the meeting?

If you had a reason for scheduling the appointment, then you should already have a good base to build from when asking questions. Don't overthink things, and ask questions that you want to know the answers to. Adcomms are people; they follow the norms of polite conversation.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Why did you schedule the meeting?

If you had a reason for scheduling the appointment, then you should already have a good base to build from when asking questions. Don't overthink things, and ask questions that you want to know the answers to. Adcomms are people; they follow the norms of polite conversation.

I wanted to show that I am very interested in the campus since it is my top choice.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:36 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:

I wanted to show that I am very interested in the campus since it is my top choice.
Well, sounds like you scheduled an appointment with them so that you could sell them on how much you want to go to their school. I doubt that asking them a series of questions is going to get them excited about you as a candidate, so maybe you should make this more of a discussion with the adcomm. On the other hand, if you explicitly scheduled this under the pretext of wanting to ask questions, then you've learned a valuable lesson about not making shit up if you aren't prepared to follow through.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:

Well, sounds like you scheduled an appointment with them so that you could sell them on how much you want to go to their school. I doubt that asking them a series of questions is going to get them excited about you as a candidate, so maybe you should make this more of a discussion with the adcomm. On the other hand, if you explicitly scheduled this under the pretext of wanting to ask questions, then you've learned a valuable lesson about not making shit up if you aren't prepared to follow through.
The website says this about the appointment system: "Admission counselors are available to answer your questions about the J.D. program." and I signed up. Now I am thinking about questions to ask. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:53 pm

"Will you please let me in?"

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:03 pm

This is probably obvious, but what do you want to know about their law school? What programs, student groups, and extracurricular orgs interest you?

Look, this isn't strictly an interview where you'll be admitted, but you can make a positive impression. So learn about the school, and figure out what interests you about that school (beyond admission).

Admissions officers regularly reflect positively on applicants who are competitive otherwise (can't stress enough how important this is) and show a demonstrated interest in the school and what it has to offer. If you want to impress them, ask pointed questions about what they offer at that school.

And beyond that, show yourself as a mature, directed person that they will read your application (when you submit it) in the most positive light. Ask questions about placing in the market you want to end up in, or opportunities while you're a student, or summer opportunities available at that school. But this isn't about asking generic questions that a random internet stranger tells you to ask. It's about demonstrating your particular interests to a person who does this every day, and recognizes when the person is showing a genuine interest in the school and when the person is asking questions to superficially inquire about the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”