Horrible first year at CC, what are my chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cblack11

New

Horrible first year at CC, what are my chances?

Post by cblack11 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

When I first attending college at 18 I decided to study at a CC to save money. I wasn't driven in any way to exceed academically. I ended up with a 2.2 and 23 credits. I then transferred to a private school so I could focus on work ethic instead of partying. I currently have a 3.7 at my University and graduate in December.

My LSAT PT has been in the mid 150's. Not really looking for a phenomenal school, but rather a chance to pursue a dream of mine. Looking at Hofstra, Cordoza, Brooklyn etc. NY schools.

I take the LSAT this Saturday.

Am I in good shape? Will they look at my more recent three years of school and assume a change of heart?

Thanks for any advice or help to get me into a school.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: Horrible first year at CC, what are my chances?

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm

LSAC will aggregate all of your credits, including those at the CC, and come up with your average GPA using that. You can compare your GPA and LSAT score combination (once you have taken the test) to people with similar stats on lawschoolnumbers.com (or in other places to, I imagine) and have a pretty darn good idea of how your application cycle will go. I think he conventional wisdom is that you will pretty much perform as well as your numbers would indicate, even though one could argue that your 3.7 gpa is more indicative of your ability than what your, undoubtedly lower, LSAC GPA is going to wind up being.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

As the above poster said, you'll likely end up with a lower LSAC GPA. Some back of the napkin math puts you right around 3.4 assuming you're completing 120 hours total for your degree.

I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to caution you against these schools. I know you say you're not looking for a "phenomenal school," but unless your dream is one of crushing debt and substandard career prospects, I wouldn't seriously consider these schools. With a mid-150s LSAT, you may get in, but would not have a substantial scholarship. Depending on how Saturday goes, I'd take time to study some more and get your score up a little higher. A score in the low 160s and you open doors to better schools and some scholarships. If you can crack mid-160s+, you're in even better shape.

Check out http://mylsn.info for your chances and http://www.lstreports.com for info on cost/job prospects at these schools.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:34 pm

cblack11 wrote:When I first attending college at 18 I decided to study at a CC to save money. I wasn't driven in any way to exceed academically. I ended up with a 2.2 and 23 credits. I then transferred to a private school so I could focus on work ethic instead of partying. I currently have a 3.7 at my University and graduate in December.

My LSAT PT has been in the mid 150's. Not really looking for a phenomenal school, but rather a chance to pursue a dream of mine. Looking at Hofstra, Cordoza, Brooklyn etc. NY schools.

I take the LSAT this Saturday.

Am I in good shape? Will they look at my more recent three years of school and assume a change of heart?

Thanks for any advice or help to get me into a school.
There are people at T14s with worst first semester/year GPAs. Focus on your LSAT and not what you have no control over.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:38 pm

cblack11 wrote:My LSAT PT has been in the mid 150's. Not really looking for a phenomenal school, but rather a chance to pursue a dream of mine. Looking at Hofstra, Cordoza, Brooklyn etc. NY schools.
In the same vein as another post, what is this dream of yours? A mid-150s score will not get you a lot of money (if any) at these schools with your GPA, and your chances of being a practicing lawyer after graduating from one of these institutions are not all that great. So what do you want to do with your degree, and why do you think these schools are the best options?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cblack11

New

Post by cblack11 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
cblack11 wrote:My LSAT PT has been in the mid 150's. Not really looking for a phenomenal school, but rather a chance to pursue a dream of mine. Looking at Hofstra, Cordoza, Brooklyn etc. NY schools.
In the same vein as another post, what is this dream of yours? A mid-150s score will not get you a lot of money (if any) at these schools with your GPA, and your chances of being a practicing lawyer after graduating from one of these institutions are not all that great. So what do you want to do with your degree, and why do you think these schools are the best options?

I have always wanted a public service job. I know it is not what most people on here are interested in. Any job in the public sector won't yield the salary to help pay off debt. However, it is always going to be a dream of mine and if I surprise myself on the LSAT I think it could be worth it.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

cblack11 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I have always wanted a public service job. I know it is not what most people on here are interested in. Any job in the public sector won't yield the salary to help pay off debt. However, it is always going to be a dream of mine and if I surprise myself on the LSAT I think it could be worth it.
Plenty of people want to go in to public service. But what does that mean to you? Do you mean working for the ACLU? Brooklyn Defenders? The government?

And what do you plan to do about debt? There are options when you enter public service, but it sounds like you haven't really researched them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”