Securing an interview? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HLShopeful12345

New

Securing an interview?

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 am

What can an applicant do to land an interview? I know generally applicants who have a really strong resumes/WE/ applications and lower(ish) numbers are usually the ones to score interviews. But is there anything you can do in your application process to increase your likelihood ?

I've heard of applications to Georgetown being invited to group interviews... any ideas on how that works?

Pozzo

Gold

Re: Securing an interview?

Post by Pozzo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 am

Interviews are a routine part of admissions at some schools (e.g., H, UChi), completely absent from others (e.g., SLS, NYU), and used discretionally at others (e.g., Columbia). "Landing" an interview at the schools who use them as a routine part of the process boils down to having strong numbers, good recommendations, and a good resume/experience--in other words, a strong application. For the ones that use it discretionally, there are rumors that sometimes its used for borderline candidates or that it's used for scholarship consideration, but there's nothing definitive out there to say one way or the other.

All that is to say, I wouldn't put any effort into securing an interview beyond what you are putting into crafting a strong application.

I don't have any insight into the Georgetown question, maybe others can chime in.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 am

Nothing.

The vast majority of schools that do interviews do not pick and choose which applicants do them, and there isn't anything you can do beyond have a strong application to guarantee an interview at those that do. Since you're clearly talking about Harvard: you can have a strong LSAT/GPA for their numbers.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 pm

GTown interview invitations presumably went out purely based on numbers sent to them via the Candidate Referral Service. Invites were sent to both prospective applicants and candidates who have not indicated any interest in the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”