Will not working my gap year hurt me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsataddict242

New

Will not working my gap year hurt me?

Post by lsataddict242 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:17 pm

I just graduated and have been studying for the LSAT most of the summer. I plan to continue studying until December and not work or work 16 hours (preferably not at all). I get too tired to study when I get home in the evenings. I know this from previous work experience. If I plan to apply in December, will this negatively impact my application? Will law schools think of me as lazy? :?: Thanks!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Will not working my gap year hurt me?

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:42 pm

lsataddict242 wrote:I just graduated and have been studying for the LSAT most of the summer. I plan to continue studying until December and not work or work 16 hours (preferably not at all). I get too tired to study when I get home in the evenings. I know this from previous work experience. If I plan to apply in December, will this negatively impact my application? Will law schools think of me as lazy? :?: Thanks!
It probably won't hurt you for law school, but it could hurt you when you look for legal jobs.

lsataddict242

New

Post by lsataddict242 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lsataddict242 wrote:I just graduated and have been studying for the LSAT most of the summer. I plan to continue studying until December and not work or work 16 hours (preferably not at all). I get too tired to study when I get home in the evenings. I know this from previous work experience. If I plan to apply in December, will this negatively impact my application? Will law schools think of me as lazy? :?: Thanks!
It probably won't hurt you for law school, but it could hurt you when you look for legal jobs.
Because of lack of WE/less WE or because of the gap in work history/part-time classification? Please specify :) Also, do you think that applies to BigLaw as well after graduating from a T14?
Last edited by lsataddict242 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm

lsataddict242 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Because of lack of WE/less WE or because of the gap in work history/part-time classification? Please specify :)
Both.

ETA: If someone asks you what you did during your gap year (which is a common interview question), an answer of "I studied for the LSAT" or "I was afraid of working while preparing for the LSAT because I couldn't handle both" is a very, very bad answer.

lsataddict242

New

Post by lsataddict242 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lsataddict242 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Because of lack of WE/less WE or because of the gap in work history/part-time classification? Please specify :)
Both.
For BigLaw as well after finishing a T-14? I feel like it can't be that big of a deal for employment considering the fact that many students went straight to law school after college and have no WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm

lsataddict242 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
lsataddict242 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Both.
For BigLaw as well after finishing a T-14?
Yes, definitely. See my edited answer in my previous post.

lsataddict242

New

Post by lsataddict242 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lsataddict242 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
lsataddict242 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Both.
For BigLaw as well after finishing a T-14?
Yes, definitely. See my edited answer in my previous post.
Thanks. Hm, well I plan to work starting January. Maybe that will offset the 3 months between now and December. What do you think? :)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 pm

lsataddict242 wrote:Thanks. Hm, well I plan to work starting January. Maybe that will offset the 3 months between now and December. What do you think? :)
I think that will help a lot. Not working from June through December is probably fine. (Folks will likely just assume you were traveling or fucking around for a few months, which isn't a big deal.) I'd make sure you have a job lined up for January, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”