Turning down internship as an UG - will it hurt? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CheyenneGarrett17

New

Turning down internship as an UG - will it hurt?

Post by CheyenneGarrett17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am

I just finished spending the summer in DC interning for my state’s Senator. When I returned home, I applied to work in the Senators state office as an unpaid intern. Since I applied, a bit of a wrench has been thrown in my financial plans, complicating me accepting an unpaid internship.

I was also offered a paid (minimally, but better than nothing) gig as a fundraiser for orgs like ACLU, DCCC, PP, etc. Nothing impressive resume-wise, but maybe still related enough to the political stuff to not necessarily be harmful?

My question: will it look significantly better admissions-wise to take the unpaid internship? Is it worth trying to squeeze it in somewhere while working full time and focusing on my GPA during my last semester as an ug?

For what it’s worth - hoping to work on a campaign during my gap year (specifically for the Senator I worked for and have a chance to work for this semester). Any insight onto which would be more helpful on that front would be appreciated too.

CheyenneGarrett17

New

Re: Turning down internship as an UG - will it hurt?

Post by CheyenneGarrett17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:25 am

Also if it matters - possible internship for this semester in the state office is case-work/constituent service based. So not really policy-focused.

Considering lobbying in the future, if that matters.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:28 am

It really won't make any difference at all. (Also, definitely not a good idea to do anything that would jeopardize your GPA.)

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:34 am

Literally none of this matters. Just take the paid gig. LSAT/GPA is the main thing that admissions cares about. To the extent anyone in admissions cares about your resume, an internship with a Senator's office may be nice, but you already did one in DC, and if anything the fundraiser thing will add variety.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”