Application & LSAT timeline Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
doglawin

New

Application & LSAT timeline

Post by doglawin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Hey friends,

I'm in a weird situation as a splitter and was hoping one of you could help me.

I'm taking the LSAT in September and December and applying to law schools for this '18 cycle. I've emailed a couple of law schools regarding taking both exams, and most have replied that they will either automatically put an application on hold or hold the application if they are informed that a student is registered for the December LSAT.

Ideally, I'd have my application in by mid-October, knowing it would be put on hold until the December scores are released; so, my question is regarding the order in which AdComms view applications: will my application be put at the top of the pile once December scores are in since I completed and turned my application in early in the cycle? Or will it still be viewed with everyone else who completed their applications in early January after the December scores were released?

After some reading, I found that splitters are encouraged to turn applications in early, and I'm worried that my chances will decrease if my application is viewed later rather than earlier.

I appreciate any clarification!

RedPanda18

New

Re: Application & LSAT timeline

Post by RedPanda18 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 pm

You're taking the september test but are already sure you're taking the december one as well...?

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am

RedPanda18 wrote:You're taking the september test but are already sure you're taking the december one as well...?
Yes! I'm taking the September one to be able get my application in early, I started studying in June, but I have a full-time job and thought the most prudent choice would be to study for the December one.

RedPanda18

New

Post by RedPanda18 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Couple things,

1. Personally I would not go into the September exam expecting that you will need to take the december one. That is gonna be a bit of a mental crutch and may not give you that do or die instinct you will need to reach your full potential on the first sitting.

2. From what I understand, if you ask adcoms to hold your application until december scores they will not look at your application until that score is in. While this may not kill your chances of admission you are definitely not doing yourself any favors by applying then. How much of a splitter are you? If its not that extreme, I would probably just apply in september and then if you have to retake the lsat, send in (hopefully) improved scores when you have them,.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm pretty sure we cover all of that, and more, in this podcast. Hope it helps!

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/podcas ... ons-cycle/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 am

RedPanda18 wrote:Couple things,

1. Personally I would not go into the September exam expecting that you will need to take the december one. That is gonna be a bit of a mental crutch and may not give you that do or die instinct you will need to reach your full potential on the first sitting.

2. From what I understand, if you ask adcoms to hold your application until december scores they will not look at your application until that score is in. While this may not kill your chances of admission you are definitely not doing yourself any favors by applying then. How much of a splitter are you? If its not that extreme, I would probably just apply in september and then if you have to retake the lsat, send in (hopefully) improved scores when you have them,.
My UGPA is terrible, I withdrew one semester entirely and did terribly at my first school. I think it will end up being. 2.4-2.7, but I won't know until I have all my transcripts in.

After all my reading in TLS, it seems I should apply earlier in the cycle and at this point it seems like I should hold off until next cycle; a total bummer, but I'm starting to consider it.

I'm not ready for the September exam, I've yet to start LG. I've focused on LR and RC, but as I mentioned, I wanted to take the September exam to be able to have my application accepted and then held.

There's definitely a lot to be considered before I make a decision to take the exam in September or not, and I agree that if I do take it it won't be my be my best performance, but it's worth it if I want to apply this cycle.

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:14 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I'm pretty sure we cover all of that, and more, in this podcast. Hope it helps!

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/podcas ... ons-cycle/
Thank you, I'll definitely check it out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”