Okay Academic LOR - Fantastic Work LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sabraph

Bronze

Okay Academic LOR - Fantastic Work LOR

Post by sabraph » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:26 am

I might be stressing about this too much as these are just softs but...

I'm a current undergrad senior with three jobs at a no-name public school. I have a prof I can (and will) get an academic LOR from. I have had A's in both of his classes and can provide writing samples, as a kind of look how far I've come in 3 years comparison. I've gone to office hours, worked on an honors project with him, and taken three classes with him. However, compared to the letter from my supervisor at my library job it will be pretty average.

My supervisor at the lib will write me a fantastic glowing LOR and will emphasize pretty much whatever qualities I ask her to.

I have another supervisor (the director) at the writing center where I work. I think she would write me a letter that would fall in the middle in terms of letter quality - better than average but not fantastic. I feel like I could work with her to emphasize the academic aspects of tutoring in the WC to highlight qualities of a good LS student.

I'm not a case where I can justify three LORs so I'm trying to find the best balance while obviously waiving my rights to review the letters. I take the LSAT in September (PTing consistently lower 170s) and I have a 3.71 LSDAS GPA. I'm shooting for schools all top 30 or higher. Which letters would you use? Would it vary by school/depending on the school's ranking?

Thanks!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Okay Academic LOR - Fantastic Work LOR

Post by rpupkin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:40 am

If you're going to submit two LORs, then submit one from the prof and one from your library-job supervisor. And, no, the school's ranking doesn't matter at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”