Admissions chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
een1987

New

Admissions chances?

Post by een1987 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 am

I'm wondering what schools I have a shot at/should look at. Since I'm not the typical applicant, I'm at a loss about how my background affects my chances at various schools.

Undergrad degrees from a college and conservatory (BA philosophy, BM piano), masters and finishing doctorate in music from the Yale School of Music. A couple years out of school as a performing musician, adjunct prof. at a college. Have always planned on law school, but wanted to continue my education in music while I had the opportunity.

UGPA: 3.86, LSAT: 170

Thanks in advance!

Platopus

Gold

Re: Admissions chances?

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 am

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

een1987

New

Post by een1987 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:51 am

Platopus wrote:The background in music is interesting, but won't really do much to move the needle on admissions. You'll be able to write an interesting PS, and it may help on the margins where you compete with applicants with similar numbers, but on the whole I would expect you to perform according to your numbers.

Chances across the board are pretty good, I would suggest blanketing the T-13. HYS are in the red, but you never know, worth the app for the peace of mind anyway.
Thanks for the info... I wasn't sure if somehow the music background would be a negative (not as serious?). I've seen the mylsn.info site before, but wasn't sure if its reliability.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 am

een1987 wrote:
Platopus wrote:The background in music is interesting, but won't really do much to move the needle on admissions. You'll be able to write an interesting PS, and it may help on the margins where you compete with applicants with similar numbers, but on the whole I would expect you to perform according to your numbers.

Chances across the board are pretty good, I would suggest blanketing the T-13. HYS are in the red, but you never know, worth the app for the peace of mind anyway.
Thanks for the info... I wasn't sure if somehow the music background would be a negative (not as serious?). I've seen the mylsn.info site before, but wasn't sure if its reliability.
Any major that isn't poli sci, philosophy, etc. will never be seen as a negative because it's unique from the typical law student mold. A lot of the time your choice of major is irrelevant - it likely won't hurt or help you.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

een1987

New

Post by een1987 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:45 pm

I've shared the same concern. Luckily I do have good jobs considering my background (the terminal degree in music is a DMA, which is far less intense and time consuming than a PhD). I primarily pursued it for practical reasons: I do love music, and graduate schools for performing almost never admit students beyond the age of 23 or so, so when given the opportunity to study for free, I really couldn't say no. My gut says I need to address this change in my applications, but I am working with an admissions consultant who says given my age (mid/late 20s) and a couple other factors, it's not necessary to explicitly address. The why law school question will definitely be answered in some form on the application, hopefully incorporating this background in some way, though perhaps not .

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

een1987

New

Post by een1987 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for that last bit of advice. Being a paranoid law school applicant, my instinct was an addendum about this process and my motives. Your advice echos what a I've gathered from a couple other sources, but it's difficult to let go of the anxiety.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”