HELP: Minor C&F Issue -- Should I address with addendum or positive LOR? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Anonymous Questioner

New

HELP: Minor C&F Issue -- Should I address with addendum or positive LOR?

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:52 pm

[Edited]
Last edited by Anonymous Questioner on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stego

Platinum

Re: HELP: Minor C&F Issue -- Should I address with addendum or positive LOR?

Post by stego » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I think there is one line where you forgot to edit out someone's first name.

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 pm

stego wrote:I think there is one line where you forgot to edit out someone's first name.
Thanks for the heads-up! Do you have any thoughts about my best path forward?

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:19 pm

The wordiness is a bit over the top. You could maybe edit down a bit the hyperbole a bit, and I think that would make it sound more genuine.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Anonymous Questioner wrote:
stego wrote:I think there is one line where you forgot to edit out someone's first name.
Thanks for the heads-up! Do you have any thoughts about my best path forward?
I am just a lowly 0L-soon-to-be 1L but my instinct is that since you probably need to disclose the firing on your application anyway, submitting this letter as an addendum can't hurt.

Maybe with the other offending employee's name redacted though.

I wouldn't edit the rest of the letter myself since it's not your writing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:26 pm

BulletTooth wrote:The wordiness is a bit over the top. You could maybe edit down a bit the hyperbole a bit, and I think that would make it sound more genuine.
This actually is a letter of recommendation I got from my past employer. Thus, I'm not going to edit its content in any way. My question is whether I can submit the letter in PDF form as part of an addendum about why I was fired, or whether the addendum has to be purely my own writing. Thoughts?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 pm

This is definitely not a LOR in my opinion. It might be something to add as a C&F addendum, but you should probably get in touch with an admissions consultant beforehand. The letter has a few issues I think you need to address. I would agree this is a little over the top and wouldn't think something so long should be attached, because the C&F explanation should really be more about your explanation. The quote really strikes me as unnecessary, but that's not your fault. If you could get a shortened version written by the employer, I think that would help. You've also indicated this is a LOR, but you didn't say for law school, and I would assume it's not since you're recommended for the reader's "organization." If you want an addendum for C&F, then I think it needs to be directed as an explanation as to why your firing shouldn't reflect poorly on your C&F and affect law school admission. A recycled letter is strange to me, and makes me wonder whether the writer knows you're using it for admissions purposes/approves of you using it this way.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do you feel the need to address this at all in a law-school application? Are you filling out applications that ask you to explain the circumstances of your departures from the jobs you've held?

Unless a law school application asks for information to which your fired-for-smoking-pot story is responsive, I would not disclose, explain, or otherwise refer to this incident.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 pm

rpupkin wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do you feel the need to address this at all in a law-school application? Are you filling out applications that ask you to explain the circumstances of your departures from the jobs you've held?

Unless a law school application asks for information to which your fired-for-smoking-pot story is responsive, I would not disclose, explain, or otherwise refer to this incident.
I just went on LSAC and checked my old law school applications. None of them ask about being fired from a job for cause.

I thought some applications did, but I would agree that OP should not attach this letter or disclose this firing on an application unless it asks about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Davidpuddy

New

Post by Davidpuddy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do you feel the need to address this at all in a law-school application? Are you filling out applications that ask you to explain the circumstances of your departures from the jobs you've held?

Was wondering this too. I haven't seen this questions asked.

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:08 am

[Edited]
Last edited by Anonymous Questioner on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymous Questioner wrote:

Oh, interesting! Which schools did you apply to, and in what year? This is surprising news to me...I was under the impression that almost all of them asked if you'd ever been terminated from a job.
I think that Emory might have asked that question, but I may only be remembering that they had an exceptionally harsh C&F questionnaire. But no, most schools do not ask about firings.

That said, the bar will almost certainly ask, so you should hold on to this letter for that.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:56 am

I filled out an explanation about a suspension, but it could have just been for my Emory application. I'm not sure if it was for my others as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 am

I've got to agree with rpupkin here. He always gives sound advice and here is no different.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

This.

Also, if it does come up for some weird reason that I cant think of until a C&F bar-related issue or job app situation, I would not use the LOR as YOUR addendum. Your addendum should be something you write yourself, not something someone else wrote years ago. Plus I agree with previous posters - it is a little over the top. If and when you do need to write an addendum, I would be much more succinct and keep it short and sweet and def not as self-aggrandizing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”