CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Huskies13!
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:30 pm

What you've all been waiting for...
West Virginia:

http://www.law.wvu.edu/about-us/class-profile
108 (+2)
151/153/155(-1)
3.04(-.02)/3.31(-.02)/ 3.69 (+.09)

User007
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby User007 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Washington & Lee (VA) is up:

Applications: 2,367 (+459)
Class Size: 165 (+48!?!? is that right?)
Medians: 161 (+1) / 3.56 (+0.09)

https://law.wlu.edu/admissions/program- ... 20-profile

Huskies13!
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm

St. Thomas (MN)
https://www.stthomas.edu/law/jd/admission/profile/
151 (+20)
3.18(+.03)/3.44(+.09)/3.69(+.07)
149/154(+1)/157(+1)

Huskies13!
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Duquesne:
http://law.duq.edu/admissions/entering-class-profile
796 apps (-13)
149 (+26)
150/152/155
3.21(+.07)/3.49(+.11)/3.71(+.07)

Huskies13!
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Denver:
http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/admissi ... statistics
Applications 2,383 (+219)
Enrolled 250 (+3)
154/157/159(+1)
3.13(+.02)/3.46(+.07)/3.63(+.03)

rideagain
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby rideagain » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone at UVA orientation have the updated numbers?

+1, def interested...

Huskies13!
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Pepperdine:
https://law.pepperdine.edu/about/at-a-glance/
Applications
2,088 (-278)
Enrollment
158 (-48)
3.27(-.03)/3.62(+.02)/3.73(+.02)
154/160(+1)/162

User avatar
ponderingmeerkat
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 pm

rideagain wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone at UVA orientation have the updated numbers?

+1, def interested...


Wasn't announced.

ETA: I do know that my section has 31 people. Given UVA has 10 sections, it's probably safe to assume a slight (10-20??) bump in enrollment numbers this year.

User avatar
Nagster5
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
rideagain wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone at UVA orientation have the updated numbers?

+1, def interested...


Wasn't announced.

ETA: I do know that my section has 31 people. Given UVA has 10 sections, it's probably safe to assume a slight (10-20??) bump in enrollment numbers this year.


I'd bet 300, maybe 1-2 more

vcap180
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Generally speaking, do you people think being part of a significantly smaller class than what is typical for that school is likely to be beneficial for that class' job prospects ? And do you think the opposite is true for classes that are significantly larger than what is typical for that school?

This question pertains specifically to t50 or tier 1 schools... whatever that means these days

User avatar
TheBlueDevil
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby TheBlueDevil » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 pm

vcap180 wrote:Generally speaking, do you people think being part of a significantly smaller class than what is typical for that school is likely to be beneficial for that class' job prospects ? And do you think the opposite is true for classes that are significantly larger than what is typical for that school?

This question pertains specifically to t50 or tier 1 schools... whatever that means these days


That seems to be the common wisdom...

Conceptually, a significantly smaller class size would enable greater individual attention from the law school administration (particularly career services). Also, to the extent that law firms look to hire a certain number of graduates from a certain law school, a smaller class size would mean a greater percentage of the graduating class is hired. Likewise, to the extent that a smaller class size results in a more select group of students, the attractiveness (to employers) of that graduating class relative to past classes ought to be increased.

But there are obvious issues with the above reasoning. Law school administrations are far from perfect, and if a law school cuts its class size, the size of the administration/faculty/career services office may be reduced as well. Also, I suspect that legal hiring is based less on quotas than it is GPA cutoffs, and provided the grade distribution remains the same (and it ought to), the smaller class size would not result in a greater percentage of the class being hired. And I'm not sure that legal employers meaningfully take into account often minute changes in the overall quality of a class (IMO it's not clear that a one point difference in LSAT median represents a significant difference in ability of the class).

vcap180
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby vcap180 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 pm

TheBlueDevil wrote:
vcap180 wrote:Generally speaking, do you people think being part of a significantly smaller class than what is typical for that school is likely to be beneficial for that class' job prospects ? And do you think the opposite is true for classes that are significantly larger than what is typical for that school?

This question pertains specifically to t50 or tier 1 schools... whatever that means these days


That seems to be the common wisdom...

Conceptually, a significantly smaller class size would enable greater individual attention from the law school administration (particularly career services). Also, to the extent that law firms look to hire a certain number of graduates from a certain law school, a smaller class size would mean a greater percentage of the graduating class is hired. Likewise, to the extent that a smaller class size results in a more select group of students, the attractiveness (to employers) of that graduating class relative to past classes ought to be increased.

But there are obvious issues with the above reasoning. Law school administrations are far from perfect, and if a law school cuts its class size, the size of the administration/faculty/career services office may be reduced as well. Also, I suspect that legal hiring is based less on quotas than it is GPA cutoffs, and provided the grade distribution remains the same (and it ought to), the smaller class size would not result in a greater percentage of the class being hired. And I'm not sure legal employers meaningfully take into account often minute changes in the overall quality of a class.


All points in your counterargument make sense, but I wonder if some of those concerns are less relevant for t50 schools, where faculty/admin numbers are likely to remain *somewhat* stable. And in my experience with biglaw recruiting (which is very limited but not nonexistent), it does seem that at least some big firms do take roughly "x" number of students from their regional t1 school(s), separate from the obvious t14 spots - though this may not necessarily be by design.



FWIW, I'm speaking of schools of the BU BC GW FORDHAM ND EMORY USC variety.
Last edited by vcap180 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Bach-City wrote:
Huskies13! wrote:Spivey--understood..Now back to biz:

W&L:
https://law.wlu.edu/admissions/program- ... 20-profile
Apps: 2367 (+459!)
Enroll: 165 (+48!)
161 (+1)
3.56 (+.09)


This is incredibly impressive from Washington & [censored]. I wonder what they're doing right to have such an increase in applications and enrollment (while increasing numbers!).

W&L has a very impressive ranking relative to its admissions numbers, probably because of its regional reputation being so good. Even with this improvement, they're probably below most schools ranked near them.

lucretius_
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby lucretius_ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 pm

FWIW:

WUSTL 1Ls: 230 (+2)

No word on medians yet. Looks like they published that info in October last year (according to last year's thread), so don't hold your breath.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby UVA2B » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Nagster5 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
rideagain wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone at UVA orientation have the updated numbers?

+1, def interested...


Wasn't announced.

ETA: I do know that my section has 31 people. Given UVA has 10 sections, it's probably safe to assume a slight (10-20??) bump in enrollment numbers this year.


I'd bet 300, maybe 1-2 more


As of last week, UVA had 320 committed according to a reliable source, but that could've changed slightly.

User avatar
Nagster5
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
rideagain wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone at UVA orientation have the updated numbers?

+1, def interested...


Wasn't announced.

ETA: I do know that my section has 31 people. Given UVA has 10 sections, it's probably safe to assume a slight (10-20??) bump in enrollment numbers this year.


I'd bet 300, maybe 1-2 more


As of last week, UVA had 320 committed according to a reliable source, but that could've changed slightly.


Typo: ~320 is what I heard as well

rideagain
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby rideagain » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:16 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
rideagain wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Anyone at UVA orientation have the updated numbers?

+1, def interested...


Wasn't announced.

ETA: I do know that my section has 31 people. Given UVA has 10 sections, it's probably safe to assume a slight (10-20??) bump in enrollment numbers this year.

iirc from the UVA class of 2020 applicant thread they didn't really take anyone off the waitlist, so this isn't surprising- also potentially not good news for medians...

etramak
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby etramak » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 am

Are we expecting Harvard to climb up to a 173? Going by Mylsn, it looks like if you wanted to get in with a 171, you pretty much needed a 3.95+ GPA.

Huskies13!
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Huskies13! » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:32 pm

UVA:
http://content.law.virginia.edu/admissi ... 20-profile
Apps: 5068 (+270ish)
Class 319 (+23)
163(-1)/169/170
3.57(+.09)/3.87(+.01)/3.94

kingpin101
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby kingpin101 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Huskies13! wrote:UVA:
http://content.law.virginia.edu/admissi ... 20-profile
Apps: 5068 (+270ish)
Class 319 (+23)
163(-1)/169/170
3.57(+.09)/3.87(+.01)/3.94

Lol gotta increase that minority percentage somehow.

[Banned.]

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby principalagent » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 pm

edited.
Last edited by principalagent on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 20026
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby ymmv » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm not going to remind folks again that race-baiting or discussion of affirmative action outside the AA thread will result in an instant ban.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7551
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby Mikey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:46 pm

wow, what a dick move kingpin

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 pm

etramak wrote:Are we expecting Harvard to climb up to a 173? Going by Mylsn, it looks like if you wanted to get in with a 171, you pretty much needed a 3.95+ GPA.


I suspect they did.

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: CLASS OF 2020 MEDIANS (LSAT/GPA/CLASS SIZE)

Postby principalagent » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
etramak wrote:Are we expecting Harvard to climb up to a 173? Going by Mylsn, it looks like if you wanted to get in with a 171, you pretty much needed a 3.95+ GPA.


I suspect they did.


With or without a class size hit? It seemed like they had fewer regular admissions waves and a few sizable waitlist waves this past cycle.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], coskigirl and 9 guests