Disability Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatboyo

New

Disability

Post by lsatboyo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:15 am

Short background: I been diagnosed with a disability since kindergarten, taken countless iep's. went to community college, then transferred to ucla. i registered for this upcoming lsat and got accommodated with double time.

Ive heard mixed reviews about whether one should even mention their disability in their personal statements. Since law schools tend to care more about their reputation/keeping their numbers high. Especially since many law schools use to pre-judege people with accomdations on test, since theirs would be flagged.

would writing about my disability in my personal statement cause more harm to my application then good?

stego

Platinum

Re: Disability

Post by stego » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 am

Not sure but some people on here might be able to give you better advice if we knew what sort of disability you had.

lsatboyo

New

Post by lsatboyo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 am

stego wrote:Not sure but some people on here might be able to give you better advice if we knew what sort of disability you had.

It is similar to dyslexia, i am not necessarily classified with a specific disability. my reading/writing/logic skills/memory is pretty noticeably subpar compared to the norm

lsatboyo

New

Post by lsatboyo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 pm

bump: also side note i have a 3.64GPA and scoring 165+ on the lsat diagnostics.

im primarily focused on schools under T-28, but would appreciate any feedback, thanks

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I've got a couple of disabilities both physical (epilepsy) and learning (memory disorder among other things). Because my stats were within range, I ultimately opted not to mention it and did well enough. Can't say what would've happened otherwise but I made the decision because I had nothing "to explain" to so to speak. I also didn't want to red flag that I got extended time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”