Is biglaw really that bad? Is being a lawyer really that bad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleaseberkeley

New

Is biglaw really that bad? Is being a lawyer really that bad?

Post by pleaseberkeley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:11 am

We have all heard of associates and lawyers talking about being miserable. We have heard of how terrible biglaw is. But I am genuinely curious, is it that bad or are lawyers just bitching?

Consider this: Doctors are on call a lot. ER nurses had very stressful jobs. Americans that own small businesses can spend 12 hours a day running the business. Engineers took the hardest classes to become engineers and in sure their job is challenging. I have a cousin that owns a daycare. She makes a lot of money as it is in an affluent area. But she opens and 6am and closes at 6pm M-F. We have Americans working hard labor every day trying to get by.

I always hear lawyers complain about their biglaw jobs. But when you think about it, what jobs-especially a high paying one- isn't very demanding? Do lawyers have it worse than doctors? Would you rather be a lawyer and work 12 hours a day or do manual labor 12 hours a day? People that run their own business, that business becomes their life. In the case of working in law, can you not simply say that there is no free lunch at the end of the day?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Is biglaw really that bad? Is being a lawyer really that bad?

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 am

Here's what I think you're looking for:

It's not as bad as everyone thinks. The countless stories about big law misery you hear on here are just whiners and the worst associates. If you're decently smart (and I know you are because you made this highly informed thread) then you will be fine. Plus, think of all the money you'll make!

You deserve big law.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleaseberkeley

New

Post by pleaseberkeley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am

Danger Zone wrote:Here's what I think you're looking for:

It's not as bad as everyone thinks. The countless stories about big law misery you hear on here are just whiners and the worst associates. If you're decently smart (and I know you are because you made this highly informed thread) then you will be fine. Plus, think of all the money you'll make!

You deserve big law.
In all seriousness, is being a lawyer and more difficult than running a business 12 hours a day or being a doctor? If so, what makes it more difficult?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 am

You've opened a can of worms with this thread OP. :lol:

My take, FWIW: life is full of happy people and, in counterpoint, people who will never be happy.

I flew jets in a former life--arguably a lot of people's (overgrown kid's) dream job. You know what? I met viscerally unhappy people doing that job all the time. I also met people who were thrilled to be doing that job and wouldn't've traded those experiences for the world.  Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

Similarly, my wife is a current V100 biglaw litigation associate. In her group of friends, there are viscerally unhappy people and those who are enjoying themselves. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

To expand this further, my brother is an MD/PHD practicing as a physician and researcher at a very high level in his field. I've met his friends. Some are viscerally unhappy people. Others love the shit out of their job. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

In this thread you will find examples of people who enjoy being a big lawyer and those who don't. This isn't unique to the legal industry. This spectrum of personalities and their subjective experiences of enjoyment are on full display across careers and across industries.

Ultimately, IMO, people who look to a career to fulfill them are setting themselves up for disappointment. (If it happens, great--but if not, that wasn't its purpose anyway.) Focus on getting/keeping a kickass group of friends, a loving family and developing hobbies or an outlet for your talents and passions after work hours. This is a good way to disappointment-proof your life so you aren't overly reliant on your career to fill that gaping hole where "need for belonging" and "need for fulfillment" plug in.

Good luck!

/tonyrobbins
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleaseberkeley

New

Post by pleaseberkeley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:You've opened a can of worms with this thread OP. :lol:

My take, FWIW: life is full of happy people and, in counterpoint, people who will never be happy.

I flew jets in a former life--arguably a lot of people's (overgrown kid's) dream job. You know what? I met viscerally unhappy people doing that job all the time. I also met people who were thrilled to be doing that job and wouldn't've traded those experiences for the world.  Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

Similarly, my wife is a current V100 biglaw litigation associate. In her group of friends, there are viscerally unhappy people and those who are enjoying themselves. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

To expand this further, my brother is an MD/PHD practicing as a physician and researcher at a very high level in his field. I've met his friends. Some are viscerally unhappy people. Others love the shit out of their job. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

In this thread you will find examples of people who enjoy being a big lawyer and those who don't. This isn't unique to the legal industry. This spectrum of personalities and their subjective experiences of enjoyment are on full display across careers and across industries.

Ultimately, IMO, people who look to a career to fulfill them are setting themselves up for disappointment. (If it happens, great--but if not, that wasn't its purpose anyway.) Focus on getting/keeping a kickass group of friends, a loving family and developing hobbies or an outlet for your talents and passions after work hours. This is a good way to disappointment-proof your life so you aren't overly reliant on your career to fill that gaping hole where "need for belonging" and "need for fulfillment" plug in.

Good luck!

/tonyrobbins

10/10 post
Vert insightful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”