Advantages of a Joint Degree if its still only 3 years? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trkmaniak00

New

Advantages of a Joint Degree if its still only 3 years?

Post by trkmaniak00 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:59 am

I've seen a lot of people say that a joint degree (M.A. or MBA) isn't worth it for most people because they could get the same jobs without spending extra time and money in school. But what about schools who have programs where these additional degrees can be completed in 3 years?

There are a number of schools that have these options. Does anyone know of advantages / Disadvantages if it will take the same time and cost as much as the JD by itself would?

Thanks

barkschool

Silver

Re: Advantages of a Joint Degree if its still only 3 years?

Post by barkschool » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

What schools are you thinking about? I don't know of any that would make it worth it to do both.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:10 pm

trkmaniak00 wrote:I've seen a lot of people say that a joint degree (M.A. or MBA) isn't worth it for most people because they could get the same jobs without spending extra time and money in school. But what about schools who have programs where these additional degrees can be completed in 3 years?

There are a number of schools that have these options. Does anyone know of advantages / Disadvantages if it will take the same time and cost as much as the JD by itself would?

Thanks
I think 3-year JD/MBAs cost more than just getting at JD. It's significantly more expensive at Northwestern.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:27 pm

To make up the time, do you sometimes end up doing summer classes instead of getting hands-on legal experience?

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Mullens wrote:
trkmaniak00 wrote:I've seen a lot of people say that a joint degree (M.A. or MBA) isn't worth it for most people because they could get the same jobs without spending extra time and money in school. But what about schools who have programs where these additional degrees can be completed in 3 years?

Thanks
I think 3-year JD/MBAs cost more than just getting at JD. It's significantly more expensive at Northwestern.
Yeah I can't think of any programs that wouldn't charge more for the combo than the JD itself, that would also be schools worth getting either degree at. TBH I haven't looked into it recently, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trkmaniak00

New

Post by trkmaniak00 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Well I was looking at t14 schools so places like Cornell, Stanford, and northwestern. But even more generally than the MBA, if it's the first year of law school that matters most why not pick up a masters in something you like after slogging through 1L? (History philosophy etc.).

I guess I'm just surprised that more people don't pursue duel degrees and I was wondering if there was a particular reason?

Edit: if everyone agrees (as tls appears to) that three years is unnecessary for law school, wouldn't it make sense to at least make that time somewhat useful by adding another degree?

cornell2020

New

Post by cornell2020 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:13 am

trkmaniak00 wrote:Well I was looking at t14 schools so places like Cornell, Stanford, and northwestern. But even more generally than the MBA, if it's the first year of law school that matters most why not pick up a masters in something you like after slogging through 1L? (History philosophy etc.).

I guess I'm just surprised that more people don't pursue duel degrees and I was wondering if there was a particular reason?

Edit: if everyone agrees (as tls appears to) that three years is unnecessary for law school, wouldn't it make sense to at least make that time somewhat useful by adding another degree?
The "unnecessary" time might not be totally devoid of value. You ought to consider the value of an additional degree relative to the value of the last year of legal education (or however much time of law school is really unnecessary).

It also might be more difficult than you've made it sound here to actually complete the JD + a master's degree in only three years. I think there's only a handful of schools that actually offer such programs, and those programs are usually limited to only one or a few master's degrees.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:13 am

Even assuming that such programs exist and would allow you to add another degree for free, I think completing a masters in something like history or philosophy instead of doing law-related things, or even nothing, may send the wrong message about your interest in law (at least for a lot of employers).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”