Does an ED app to NYU still allow for scholarship offers? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
porzingis3

New

Does an ED app to NYU still allow for scholarship offers?

Post by porzingis3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm

I read on lawschooli.com, that NYU has a separate department that puts together you financial package, and that an ED app unlike most other schools does not remove you from contention for scholarship offers because the separate department won't even know you applied ED. I find this hard to believe and cannot find any support for this elsewhere. Does anyone have experience with this or just know whether it is true or not? Thanks!

Mullens

Silver

Re: Does an ED app to NYU still allow for scholarship offers?

Post by Mullens » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

porzingis3 wrote:I read on lawschooli.com, that NYU has a separate department that puts together you financial package, and that an ED app unlike most other schools does not remove you from contention for scholarship offers because the separate department won't even know you applied ED. I find this hard to believe and cannot find any support for this elsewhere. Does anyone have experience with this or just know whether it is true or not? Thanks!
You won't get a scholarship and applying ED might lower your chances of admission

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Applying ED is a bad move, but it's untrue that ED applicants to NYU can't get $$.

Is it less likely they get $$? No hard facts, but I'd have to imagine that is the case, given that they don't need to offer you some inducement to attend.

porzingis3

New

Post by porzingis3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Okay thank you both for the responses!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 pm

What I think you may have been referring to in the initial OP was your chance at named scholarships with an ED app. As far as I know, those scholarships are considered by totally independent panels that know nothing about whether you applied ED or not.

But those are extremely competitive, and if you're a serious contender for one of those, you won't need to apply ED in the first place.

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:What I think you may have been referring to in the initial OP was your chance at named scholarships with an ED app. As far as I know, those scholarships are considered by totally independent panels that know nothing about whether you applied ED or not.

But those are extremely competitive, and if you're a serious contender for one of those, you won't need to apply ED in the first place.
The accuracy of this depends entirely upon the named scholarship in question. I applied to NYU ED because I knew it's where I wanted to be and I knew it was a bit of a reach for me and I actually ended up receiving one of the named scholarships (AnBryce). In a lot of cases the scholarships are looking more at your softs than the admissions committee so, even if you barely make the cut into the school due to LSAT/GPA, you're in no way disadvantaged during certain named scholarship processes. The committee I interviewed with for AB didn't even know I was ED and already locked into NYU until I brought it up in my interview.

Overall though, it's pretty dang risky to ride on a named scholarship just due to the probability of even being interviewed for one. While it may have worked out for me in the end, I probably wouldn't go the ED route if I had to do it all over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”