Tips to improve my application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mtn1995

New

Tips to improve my application?

Post by mtn1995 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 pm

The two schools I am most interested in are Boston College and the University of Georgia. With my 3.5 GPA (within the 25th percentile at UGA and the median at BC for their incoming class profiles) and my goal LSAT score of 165, I feel relatively confident that I will have a fair shot at both schools. I am, however, apprehensive because I will be taking the LSAT in December, and will not be able to fully submit my application until January. I know that the earlier I submit my application, the better, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can shore up the rest of my application to send out while I'm waiting on my LSAT score? I have a year's worth of work experience as an academic writing tutor and will be able to procure two excellent letters of recommendation. Any tips would be greatly welcomed!

Platopus

Gold

Re: Tips to improve my application?

Post by Platopus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtn1995

New

Post by mtn1995 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Platopus wrote:First, the LSAT should be your primary focus. A high LSAT score will do far more for your application than any single other factor as this point. Honestly though, besides really writing an excellent PS, there isn't much you can do between now and December to significantly improve your application. Long term, more substantive work experience or unique personal experiences can help, but in the meantime its going to all come down to the LSAT. My advice is to dedicate all the energy you can into the LSAT. Your goal should not be 165, with a 3.5 you have almost the entire T-14 in play if you can crack 170+, which is certainly doable by December, assuming you are at least starting out with an average LSAT and not something far below a 150.

TL;DR Focus on the LSAT and aim for 170+ and the T-14. Even if you don't quite crack 170, you'll have significantly more school options and $$$
I'm actually starting with a 145, but I'm able to treat studying the LSAT like my full-time job for the next four months, so I'm hoping that with consistent, dedicated preparation and a bit of luck, I'll be alright. I resigned myself to a 165 because I was not sure if 170 was too lofty of a goal with my poor diagnostic score.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 am

One other general tip would be to focus your apps. Why are you applying to UGA and BC? Those schools service radically different markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:One other general tip would be to focus your apps. Why are you applying to UGA and BC? Those schools service radically different markets.
This.

With respect to UGA specifically, you have plenty of time to apply. There are going to be a lot of people in the same situation and everything is pretty fluid until deposits are due in May. I got in with $ having below 25th percentile GPA. Just focus on doing well on the LSAT. The GPA is not pretty, but a really solid LSAT score can make up for a lot.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm

The important bit is focus on the lsat. I went from 142 diagnostic to 175+ real thing. If I can do it, you certainly can. I had a lower gpa, at Duke/UVA on an almost full ride. A high lsat can make things happen that you couldnt imagine. Just focus on the test until you get a great score.

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 am

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 am

TheKingLives wrote:I strongly recommend talking to your school's pre-law advisor, even if you've graduated, if your school has one. Getting their feedback on your application could really benefit you if they've successfully gotten former students into the schools you're interested in.
Nah. Most pre-law advisors are garbage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:18 am

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:19 am

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:20 am

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:17 am

Platopus wrote:
Mullens wrote:
TheKingLives wrote:I strongly recommend talking to your school's pre-law advisor, even if you've graduated, if your school has one. Getting their feedback on your application could really benefit you if they've successfully gotten former students into the schools you're interested in.
Yeah, I kind of agree with this
Mine gave awful application advice, but he was useful in that he gave me some free LSAT materials. He also kind of seemed to try to sell me on going to my UG's law school on a full ride instead of going elsewhere

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:40 am

TheKingLives wrote:
Mullens wrote:
I'm impressed you've worked with all of them personally and can make an accurate assessment on each of them :roll: I hedged my suggestion for the reason that I don't know if they're strong across the board, but if they've gotten students in before they can certainly be of help to the OP now.
You're really angling to be the new Ferris, aren't you?

Pre-law advisors are pretty universally bad. They generally aren't lawyers, didn't go to law school, and have very little knowledge of the process (for evidence: see the thread you necro'd where your pre-law advisor told you that your UG was a major factor in admissions). If you search for any thread on this forum with the words "pre-law advisor," you'll find someone talking about objectively wrong advice they were given.

But even if we assume the best about the advisor, they have not "gotten students in before." These advisors don't have any special connections to any law schools and are rarely anything but a source of information. Even if the information that your particular advisor gives isn't complete garbage (which is not the case for you), they still aren't actively helping you get anywhere.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am

chargers21 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Yeah, I kind of agree with this
Mine gave awful application advice, but he was useful in that he gave me some free LSAT materials. He also kind of seemed to try to sell me on going to my UG's law school on a full ride instead of going elsewhere
Same, except he told me to go to Barry since we don't have a LS. Also told me that retakes are bad and that the LSAT isn't learnable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”