3.55/ 173, retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rictheruler

New

3.55/ 173, retake?

Post by rictheruler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all, sorry for another one of these annoying posts but I need some advice. 3.55 UGPA and just took the June LSAT with a 173, and I'm wondering if I should retake. As you probably know, the curve was pretty unforgiving, and with a difficult RC and easy games, I feel like this test was particularly unsuited for my strengths. I also misbubbled the last question so I definitely could have scored higher. I'm wondering if I should retake and aim for a 174+. My PTs ranged from 172-175.

My target schools are NYU and Columbia (and maybe a tiny shot at Harvard). I know I'm in pretty good shape for NYU, but one more point would put me over Columbia's 75th from last year, which I might need given my low GPA. I'm also from LA and ultimately want to practice here. Is it true that Columbia places better to CA firms?

Part of this is just me knowing I didn't reach my full potential on the test, but I'm also wondering if it's worth one more shot for my admissions prospects/ scholarship money. Thanks for the help.

TL;DR: 3.55/ 173, want to go to Columbia or NYU. Retake or no?

RParadela

Silver

Re: 3.55/ 173, retake?

Post by RParadela » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:41 pm

There's no reason to not retake in September. You can still go ahead and apply and tell the schools you applied to to hold your application until your September LSAT comes in

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 pm

RParadela wrote:There's no reason to not retake in September. You can still go ahead and apply and tell the schools you applied to to hold your application until your September LSAT comes in
Does it look bad if I score the same or worse?

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:02 pm

rictheruler wrote:
RParadela wrote:There's no reason to not retake in September. You can still go ahead and apply and tell the schools you applied to to hold your application until your September LSAT comes in
Does it look bad if I score the same or worse?
No, schools will take your highest LSAT

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Platopus wrote:
Things get better with a 175, but not a ton. If you have the time, a retake can't hurt. That said, if you'll think you'll need the time to better prepare your apps, Why X, PS, etc. I think it's justifiable to just apply early and see how things shake out.
Yeah, this was my thinking too. Looks like I should be in pretty good shape for NYU either way, and for Harvard the numbers actually go down with a 175 (though the sample size is way too small). My main concern is Columbia. The results you posted results go back to 2013, and IIRC, Columbia just bumped up their 75th to a 174. Assuming they maintain this for the next cycle, and given that I'm well below their 25th for GPA, I should aim for at least a 174, no?

2020throwaway

New

Post by 2020throwaway » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 pm

3.61/173 with 2 year WE. Applied end of Jan and got into two of CCN in feb, waitlist on the other. Retook for a 172 :( which dashed my hopes for a better result. Will be attending CCN with $.

I say a Sept retake can't hurt, but I would honestly get your application in as soon as possible regardless (when it's ready of course).

Good luck to you

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm

2020throwaway wrote:3.61/173 with 2 year WE. Applied end of Jan and got into two of CCN in feb, waitlist on the other. Retook for a 172 :( which dashed my hopes for a better result. Will be attending CCN with $.

I say a Sept retake can't hurt, but I would honestly get your application in as soon as possible regardless (when it's ready of course).

Good luck to you
Thanks, and congrats on CCN. When was your retake? After you sent in apps?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:16 pm

October is still an early application. You owe it to yourself to at least try one more time, but you'll go to a good school regardless

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lizsten2me

New

Post by lizsten2me » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Before retaking you should reach out to Colombia and clarify whether or not they average your LSAT scores. NYU does for sure and Colombia is more ambiguous on the matter. That said, improving your score will help your chances, but say you have a harder time and score a few points lower, you risk hurting your averaged LSAT, and ultimately your chances.

TexasApplicant

New

Post by TexasApplicant » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 pm

lizsten2me wrote:Before retaking you should reach out to Colombia and clarify whether or not they average your LSAT scores. NYU does for sure and Colombia is more ambiguous on the matter. That said, improving your score will help your chances, but say you have a harder time and score a few points lower, you risk hurting your averaged LSAT, and ultimately your chances.
NYU definitely averages LSAT scores? Could you provide a source? That's bad news :shock:

lizsten2me

New

Post by lizsten2me » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 pm

TexasApplicant wrote:
lizsten2me wrote:Before retaking you should reach out to Colombia and clarify whether or not they average your LSAT scores. NYU does for sure and Colombia is more ambiguous on the matter. That said, improving your score will help your chances, but say you have a harder time and score a few points lower, you risk hurting your averaged LSAT, and ultimately your chances.
NYU definitely averages LSAT scores? Could you provide a source? That's bad news :shock:
As seen in the FAQ section of the law school website:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdadmissions/app ... ationfaq#7
If I take the LSAT more than once, does the Committee see the higher score?
Yes, but they evaluate based on the average score in most cases. The Committee may take special circumstances into account. If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Take the GRE and apply to Harvard! Profit!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm

lizsten2me wrote:
TexasApplicant wrote:
As seen in the FAQ section of the law school website:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdadmissions/app ... ationfaq#7
If I take the LSAT more than once, does the Committee see the higher score?
Yes, but they evaluate based on the average score in most cases. The Committee may take special circumstances into account. If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement.
NYU says they average LSAT scores. Admissions numbers say otherwise, and the numbers don't lie.

And this was a dumb necro.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”