2.9/179 URM Chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2018hopeful

New

2.9/179 URM Chances?

Post by 2018hopeful » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi! I'm an AA female with a 2.9 ugpa and 179 lsat curious about my t14 chances! I plan on writing an addendum for one semester that personal issues severely affected my grades.

My ultimate goal is CCN but obviously my gpa is a crazy hurdle.

I'd appreciate any feedback about my chances at any schools. Thanks :)!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: 2.9/179 URM Chances?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Congrats on that score.

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Tough to accurately predict your outcomes.

But I'd say you have reason to be optimistic for at least NYU.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 pm

How much distance do you have between now and college?

2018hopeful

New

Post by 2018hopeful » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:How much distance do you have between now and college?
I graduated 2015 and have beef working as a paralegal

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2018hopeful

New

Post by 2018hopeful » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 pm

sodomojo wrote:Tough to accurately predict your outcomes.

But I'd say you have reason to be optimistic for at least NYU.
I've heard UChicago is pretty hard on gpa's. Not sure about Columbia tho

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malysh

New

Post by malysh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Platopus wrote:You are going to have a widely unpredictable cycle. Apply broadly to the T-14 minus HYS and see where the chips land.
This but definitely apply to HYS. Y/S are super unlikely because of the gpa but still you probably have a better chance than many applicants and I'd argue chances are Harvard are reasonable. Lots of people out there will high gpas but very few with an LSAT like that! You are probably one in a small handful of AA females with above a 178 and it'd be crazy to not at least try for HYS.
Congratulations!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Platopus wrote:You are going to have a widely unpredictable cycle. Apply broadly to the T-14 minus HYS and see where the chips land.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Platopus wrote:
malysh wrote:
This but definitely apply to HYS. Y/S are super unlikely because of the gpa but still you probably have a better chance than many applicants and I'd argue chances are Harvard are reasonable. Lots of people out there will high gpas but very few with an LSAT like that! You are probably one in a small handful of AA females with above a 178 and it'd be crazy to not at least try for HYS.
Congratulations!
HYS still have GPA floors. They might be flexible for a URM w/ a 179, but not 2.9 flexible. Also, Harvard is accepting the GRE this year, so they can cherry pick high GRE/GPA combos without having to balance it out by accepting super splitters. IMO OP has no chance at HYS

Northwestern is notorious for being generous with super splitters. As for the rest of the T-14, the GPA issue is going to be a major hurdle, especially if you're looking for scholarships to defray the costs. I think it's fair to say that you'll be paying sticker at any T-14 you get into, with a possible exception being Northwestern.

malysh

New

Post by malysh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 pm

[quote="Platopus"][quote="malysh"][quote="Platopus"]You are going to have a widely unpredictable cycle. Apply broadly to the T-14 minus HYS and see where the chips land.[/quote]
Congratulations![/quote]

HYS still have GPA floors. They might be flexible for a URM w/ a 179, but not 2.9 flexible. Also, Harvard is accepting the GRE this year, so they can cherry pick high GRE/GPA combos without having to balance it out by accepting super splitters. IMO OP has no chance at HYS

[url=http://mylsn.info/5g8zam][img]http://myLSN.info/5g8zam_1-6.jpg[/img][/url][/quote]

I don't think there is enough stats on this to not apply because LSN shows no acceptances. Your search goes from 165-180 but how many of those are above 170? how many are above 174? I have't checked yet but my guess is maybe one or 2 for the later and that's not a large enough sample to actually deduct chances. I'm not saying that OP will get in, or even that she has a good chance. But certainly she has a chance and it is not her job to tell schools she isn't "the right fit/good enough". The schools should make that decision themselves but they can't do that if she never applies.

Edit: Just looked into it. In this cycle there are 4 total AA on LSN with an LSAT above 174. Obviously LSN is a limited sample pool but OP is a rare commodity.
Last edited by malysh on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

malysh

New

Post by malysh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Platopus wrote:
malysh wrote:
I don't think there is enough stats on this to not apply because LSN shows no acceptances. Your search goes from 165-180 but how many of those are above 170? how many are above 174? I have't checked yet but my guess is maybe one or 2 for the later and that's not a large enough sample to actually deduct chances. I'm not saying that OP will get in, or even that she has a good chance. But certainly she has a chance and it is not her job to tell schools she isn't "the right fit/good enough". The schools should make that decision themselves but they can't do that if she never applies.
You have a fair enough point about sample size, but I still wouldn't say that OP has a "reasonable" chance at Harvard. I suppose if OP has the time and money, it may be worth it simply for the peace of mind, and there certainly isn't a downside. I just want to make sure we're being honest with OP's chances at HYS.
I guess it depends what "reasonable" means to you though :P To me reasonable is anywhere between 20-40%. I'd say OP might fall in there, although who knows. Personally i'd find a way to spend the extra bucks because the pay off if huge and there is no downside.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:25 pm

2018hopeful

New

Post by 2018hopeful » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I appreciate it.

I don't want HYS. I specifically want Chicago or NYC so I'm focused on CCN, NU, and Fordham and will blanket everything T6-20 along with some safety schools.

So I really have no shot at any $? Not even NU ED?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 am

2018hopeful wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback! I appreciate it.

I don't want HYS. I specifically want Chicago or NYC so I'm focused on CCN, NU, and Fordham and will blanket everything T6-20 along with some safety schools.

Scholarships are unpredictable, but you're very unlikely to get anything at the T13.

And yes, NU ED is off the table. Their ED program is meant to get students who would otherwise go to HYSCCN, so splitters are not favored.

2018hopeful

New

Post by 2018hopeful » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks! I guess I'll just apply and see what happens but I don't see myself going anywhere at sticker. It honestly isn't worth it to me.

But thank you everyone for the insight!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
2018hopeful wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Scholarships are unpredictable, but you're very unlikely to get anything at the T13.

And yes, NU ED is off the table. Their ED program is meant to get students who would otherwise go to HYSCCN, so splitters are not favored.
It's basically impossible for anyone here to predict scholarships for you. I'd just apply early, make sure your stuff is straight, and see what happens.

pike25

New

Post by pike25 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:41 am

malysh wrote:
Congratulations!
I second this. Apply everywhere, including HYS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm

pike25 wrote:
malysh wrote:
Congratulations!
I'd recommend WUSTL for a full scholarship and possible leverage in scholly negotiations. You'll almost certainly get one with your score, even with the GPA.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Blanket the T20 for maximum flexibility. As one of the posters above said, your cycle is going to be wildly unpredictable. There are so few splitters to that extreme that it's going to be impossible to make predictions due to sample size. You're going to go to a great school somewhere for free though. I'd put money on that. Congrats!
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2018hopeful

New

Post by 2018hopeful » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
pike25 wrote:
malysh wrote:
Congratulations!
I'd recommend WUSTL for a full scholarship and possible leverage in scholly negotiations. You'll almost certainly get one with your score, even with the GPA.
But some schools (like CCN) only negotiate with their peers, right? So, theoretically/optimistically speaking, if I were to get a full at WUSTL would CN even care if they accepted me at sticker?

I mean of course no one can answer definitively, but still...

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:12 pm

2018hopeful wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
pike25 wrote:
malysh wrote:
Congratulations!
But some schools (like CCN) only negotiate with their peers, right? So, theoretically/optimistically speaking, if I were to get a full at WUSTL would CN even care if they accepted me at sticker?

I mean of course no one can answer definitively, but still...
CCN might not care, but it could be used to negotiate with schools closer in rank to WUSTL (which could, hypothetically, then be used to negotiate with schools with a slightly higher ranking, etc etc).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”