Who should I be looking at getting letters of recommendation from? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcs3310

New

Who should I be looking at getting letters of recommendation from?

Post by mcs3310 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Good evening,

Most posts I have seen give a general idea of who to look for recommendation letters from. However, I am looking for advice as to who I should specifically seek out for these recommendation letters, since most schools have a limit on how many you can have. A little background info on myself: I have quite a few professors that would be more than willing to provide recommendation letters, one of which I have taken 6 classes with- so she knows my academic performance well. I have other professors I have also taken multiple classes with, one being an alum of my top choice school - (University of Florida) - without going into too much detail, she is incredibly well known. I also volunteer at the court information desk at the court near me, and I can ask for a recommendation letter from my volunteer supervisor. I nanny, so I do not think it would be relevant to ask them for a recommendation letter, so place of employment is not plausible. So, who should I ask for a recommendation letter from?

cavalier1138

Re: Who should I be looking at getting letters of recommendation from?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 pm

The two professors should be your priorities, assuming they both know you well (more than "[Name] did well in my classes"). Where professors went to school and whether they are well known is less important than how well they know you.

You don't need LORs from employers, especially not volunteer supervisors. Academic LORs always get more weight.

mcs3310

New

Re: Who should I be looking at getting letters of recommendation from?

Post by mcs3310 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:The two professors should be your priorities, assuming they both know you well (more than "[Name] did well in my classes"). Where professors went to school and whether they are well known is less important than how well they know you.

You don't need LORs from employers, especially not volunteer supervisors. Academic LORs always get more weight.

Thanks for your reply! I will contact them asap then.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”