Apply this cycle? 3.96 gpa 153 lsat Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pidgeon

New

Apply this cycle? 3.96 gpa 153 lsat

Post by Pidgeon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:30 am

I have a 3.96 gpa at FIU in Florida with a major in Public Administration, but a less than stellar lsat score of 153. I rushed my studying and know I could do better, but I'm not confident that I could make the necessary improvement by the September 2017 test. I also have pretty good LORs and work experience at a small firm. I'm also only 19 years old graduating early due to early admissions credits from high school. I'm not sure if that helps me at all?
My plan is to try to apply to some decent schools this cycle and if I don't get in start prepping for the June 2018 to apply next cycle. I know I'm not getting into a top school, but I'm wondering what schools in competitive for and if going there is worth it. I'm looking primarily at Pitt with UF and GW as stretch schools. Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated!

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Apply this cycle? 3.96 gpa 153 lsat

Post by Mikey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:36 am

Retake the LSAT. You have a very nice GPA and with the right LSAT score, you can get some really good money from great schools.

Also, you're only 19.. Take at the very least a year off and live, get a job, do things you enjoy doing, etc.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:37 am

Pidgeon wrote:I have a 3.96 gpa at FIU in Florida with a major in Public Administration, but a less than stellar lsat score of 153. I rushed my studying and know I could do better, but I'm not confident that I could make the necessary improvement by the September 2017 test. I also have pretty good LORs and work experience at a small firm. I'm also only 19 years old graduating early due to early admissions credits from high school. I'm not sure if that helps me at all?
My plan is to try to apply to some decent schools this cycle and if I don't get in start prepping for the June 2018 to apply next cycle. I know I'm not getting into a top school, but I'm wondering what schools in competitive for and if going there is worth it. I'm looking primarily at Pitt with UF and GW as stretch schools. Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated!
DO. NOT. APPLY. WITH. A. 153.

I'm gonna level with you, applying with a 153 will be the biggest mistake of your life. You need to realize that law school is a professional school and prestige matters in the legal profession. A lot. You have the GPA to get into Harvard. It would be a tragedy if you settle for a school like Pitt (very random btw if you're from Florida). Retake the LSAT. The average entering age at most schools is 24-25. It won't kill you to wait a year or two.

There are also a whole lot of other reasons to not go to law school until you're at least 21, but it's far more important that you don't apply with a 3.96 and a 153.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:38 am

Pidgeon wrote: I'm looking primarily at Pitt with UF and GW as stretch schools. Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated!
you know if you practiced for the lsat you could go to harvard right?

edit: enjoyed having mullens and I have the same opinion at the same time

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:39 am

Mullens wrote:
Pidgeon wrote:I have a 3.96 gpa at FIU in Florida with a major in Public Administration, but a less than stellar lsat score of 153. I rushed my studying and know I could do better, but I'm not confident that I could make the necessary improvement by the September 2017 test. I also have pretty good LORs and work experience at a small firm. I'm also only 19 years old graduating early due to early admissions credits from high school. I'm not sure if that helps me at all?
DO. NOT. APPLY. WITH. A. 153.

I'm gonna level with you, applying with a 153 will be the biggest mistake of your life. You need to realize that law school is a professional school and prestige matters in the legal profession. A lot. You have the GPA to get into Harvard. It would be a tragedy if you settle for a school like Pitt (very random btw if you're from Florida). Retake the LSAT. The average entering age at most schools is 24-25. It won't kill you to wait a year or two.

There are also a whole lot of other reasons to not go to law school until you're at least 21, but it's far more important that you don't apply with a 3.96 and a 153.
Agree with this 100%. But also, if you are hitting the legal job market at 22, you will be at a significant disadvantage. Firms dont want someone your age because at the end of the day, this is a client-facing business.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:13 am

You have plenty of time to improve your score by September. Even if you didn't, you could take the December test and still have an amazing cycle.

Being 19 won't help you. It's not going to keep you out of schools, at all, but it won't help you get into better ones. If anything being unusually young is a red flag in a professional field where experience and demonstrated maturity tend to help you.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:20 am

You've got a great GPA that could get you into a top school, you know you could improve your LSAT with practice even if not by September, and even if you were a few years older you'd still be pretty young by law school standards (even if age were a relevant concern). Don't know what your goals are, but they'll almost certainly be better served by retaking than applying with that LSAT.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 am

Agree with what's been said so far--study again and retake. Even if you can only go up to the mid-160s, with that GPA you still open up most of the lower T14, or better.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:55 am

If you have the intellect to graduate literally a year after most people go to college with a 3.96, you have the intellect to rock the LSAT. Also to get a dope job which pays USD that you can put in a bank account to make law school cheaper. On average, college grads make 50k/yr. If you have 0 savings now, and save 10% of your income for the next 6 years (which would be enough time to build a DOPE resume) - you could have 60k in the bank when you enter school. You could go debt free with a good enough LSAT. Even if you did only 3 years, 30k in savings is nothing to scoff at.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 am

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Mikey wrote:Retake the LSAT. You have a very nice GPA and with the right LSAT score, you can get some really good money from great schools.

Also, you're only 19.. Take at the very least a year off and live, get a job, do things you enjoy doing, etc.
/thread

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:48 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Mikey wrote:Retake the LSAT. You have a very nice GPA and with the right LSAT score, you can get some really good money from great schools.

Also, you're only 19.. Take at the very least a year two years off and live, get a job, do things you enjoy doing, etc.
/thread
what's the point of LS if you can't even legally drink :?: :?: :?:

Soup2Nuts

New

Post by Soup2Nuts » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:

Also, you're only 19.. Take at the very least a year two years off and live, get a job, do things you enjoy doing, etc.
/thread
what's the point of LS if you can't even legally drink :?: :?: :?:

Why drink when its all about the green...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”