Applying in December.. really that bad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
King of the North

Bronze

Applying in December.. really that bad?

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 pm

So I've had brief conversations with a few people on here about my plans to apply for law school. Basically, I want to take the test in Dec. and apply right after, assuming my score is good enough. 3.5 gpa, shooting for Vanderbilt, so I'm thinking a 168+ would get me in and get me some money.

Is that really such a late time to apply? Several people have asked me whether I'm applying too late. In a perfect world, I would be ready for the test in September, but I just don't think I will be. I've only studied for a month and I'm on vacation for two weeks in July. So what do you guys honestly think? If I take the test in December then fill out my applications and apply while I wait for scores to be released, will I be late and have a bad chance of getting it/getting money?

Thanks for the help.

mwells56

Silver

Re: Applying in December.. really that bad?

Post by mwells56 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Apps won't be considered "complete" until you have an LSAT score but there's nothing stopping you from doing your personal statement/rec letters/addenda beforehand.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:36 pm

mwells56 wrote:Apps won't be considered "complete" until you have an LSAT score but there's nothing stopping you from doing your personal statement/rec letters/addenda beforehand.
Right. That's what I meant; I'll do everything else and submit it and then all that's left for them to receive is my score.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Applying with a December score won't be too late, especially if your actual submission is in December and is only awaiting the LSAT. It's when you are applying late January and beyond that you're getting too late for optimum scholarship awards, decisions, etc.

Now get that 168+ and apply broadly so you have all of your options on the table.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:43 pm

UVA2B wrote:Applying with a December score won't be too late, especially if your actual submission is in December and is only awaiting the LSAT. It's when you are applying late January and beyond that you're getting too late for optimum scholarship awards, decisions, etc.

Now get that 168+ and apply broadly so you have all of your options on the table.
Exactly what I plan to do and exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 pm

King of the North wrote:
mwells56 wrote:Apps won't be considered "complete" until you have an LSAT score but there's nothing stopping you from doing your personal statement/rec letters/addenda beforehand.
Right. That's what I meant; I'll do everything else and submit it and then all that's left for them to receive is my score.
Yeah no that's fine plenty of people do it. I'm applying ASAP but that's because I'm super impatient, lol.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm

mwells56 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Yeah no that's fine plenty of people do it. I'm applying ASAP but that's because I'm super impatient, lol.
I'll just focus on getting a 180 and no one will give a shit when I apply lol.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 pm

King of the North wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
I'll just focus on getting a 180 and no one will give a shit when I apply lol.
Was gonna reply to our conversation in your other thread, but yeah, this is the attitude to have

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Depends. I took Feb 2017 test and got a full ride offer from WUSTL and the school I ultimately chose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am

NYCounsel wrote:Depends. I took Feb 2017 test and got a full ride offer from WUSTL and the school I ultimately chose.
I'm happy to hear that. Congrats!

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 pm

King of the North wrote:So I've had brief conversations with a few people on here about my plans to apply for law school. Basically, I want to take the test in Dec. and apply right after, assuming my score is good enough. 3.5 gpa, shooting for Vanderbilt, so I'm thinking a 168+ would get me in and get me some money.
Current Vandy student who took the December LSAT, applied in January and got in with 30k a year. 3.8/167. It's definitely possible. Some of the higher ranked schools you might have to wait out the waitlist though unless you crush the lsat.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:34 am

The_Lorax wrote:
King of the North wrote:So I've had brief conversations with a few people on here about my plans to apply for law school. Basically, I want to take the test in Dec. and apply right after, assuming my score is good enough. 3.5 gpa, shooting for Vanderbilt, so I'm thinking a 168+ would get me in and get me some money.
Current Vandy student who took the December LSAT, applied in January and got in with 30k a year. 3.8/167. It's definitely possible. Some of the higher ranked schools you might have to wait out the waitlist though unless you crush the lsat.
Great. That makes me hopeful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”