Defer then opt out? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
radon5

New

Defer then opt out?

Post by radon5 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Wanted to see what the rules are with deferrals. Mostly is it possible to get a deferral for a year, hear back on a future LSAT score/acceptance to a more desirable school and then opt out of the deferral? Do you get blacklisted for something like that? Thanks.

cavalier1138

Re: Defer then opt out?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:36 pm

If you defer, you generally agree to not apply anywhere else (unless your deferral contract didn't include that for some reason). So you'd probably have to back out of the deferral before applying. And yes, adcomms talk to each other. They will find out if you're a dick.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:30 am

I guess a follow up question would be could you defer, retake, then try to get a better scholarship? Or do you generally sign a contract that locks you in for next year at your current scholarship?

I'm just thinking about tuition increases relative to a potentially marginal increase in score.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 am

mrtux45 wrote:I guess a follow up question would be could you defer, retake, then try to get a better scholarship? Or do you generally sign a contract that locks you in for next year at your current scholarship?

I'm just thinking about tuition increases relative to a potentially marginal increase in score.
The question was already answered more or less. When you defer, you agree to attend the university where you deferred. So even if you did retake in the interim, there would be no reason for that school to offer you more of a discount since you're already locked in. LSAT retakes are only valuable when you're still on the free agent market.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 am

UVA2B wrote:
mrtux45 wrote:I guess a follow up question would be could you defer, retake, then try to get a better scholarship? Or do you generally sign a contract that locks you in for next year at your current scholarship?

The question was already answered more or less. When you defer, you agree to attend the university where you deferred. So even if you did retake in the interim, there would be no reason for that school to offer you more of a discount since you're already locked in. LSAT retakes are only valuable when you're still on the free agent market.
That's fair. Thanks for clarifying

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”