Changes in LSAT scores of applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Paul Campos

Silver

Changes in LSAT scores of applicants

Post by Paul Campos » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 am

Total number of applicants with an LSAT score of 160 or higher

2010: 35,890

2017: 14,065

Total number of applicants with an LSAT score below 150

2010: 12,320

2017: 18,725

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Changes in LSAT scores of applicants

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:53 am

This probably means that smart people are realizing that law school is a bad idea in most circumstances.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:11 pm

*sigh* do I have to do this?

Retake

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:12 pm

This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Maybe others would disagree, but I don't really think the test has changed since 2010, so learning the test and cracking a 170+ should theoretically be just as "easy" now as in 2010.

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

A shift in performance this dramatic may indicate a change in the difficulty of the test. I am skeptical that there has been any significant change in the attitudes of 0L applicants, and even if there was, it surely wouldn't justify such a dramatic shift. The vast, vast majority of both prospective and actual law students remain as they have always been: terrible at math and largely oblivious to the consequences of assuming an enormous amount of debt to go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

efficient

New

Post by efficient » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 pm

GFox345 wrote:A shift in performance this dramatic may indicate a change in the difficulty of the test. I am skeptical that there has been any significant change in the attitudes of 0L applicants, and even if there was, it surely wouldn't justify such a dramatic shift. The vast, vast majority of both prospective and actual law students remain as they have always been: terrible at math and largely oblivious to the consequences of assuming an enormous amount of debt to go to law school.
I believe there is some data to suggest that there has been a change in the attitudes of potential applicants from top colleges during this time frame.

Applicants from top colleges are down 48% since 2010:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2010.html

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:27 pm

efficient wrote:
GFox345 wrote:A shift in performance this dramatic may indicate a change in the difficulty of the test. I am skeptical that there has been any significant change in the attitudes of 0L applicants, and even if there was, it surely wouldn't justify such a dramatic shift. The vast, vast majority of both prospective and actual law students remain as they have always been: terrible at math and largely oblivious to the consequences of assuming an enormous amount of debt to go to law school.
I believe there is some data to suggest that there has been a change in the attitudes of potential applicants from top colleges during this time frame.

Applicants from top colleges are down 48% since 2010:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2010.html
Top college doesn't necessarily mean top LSAT score though. I'm sure the correlation is high, but I don't think it entirely explains this data.

I am skeptical that the test has actually become more difficult. We're dealing with raw numbers, and law school apps have definitely decreased, so the actual % change in top scorers may not be as pronounced, making it more plausible that a slight fluctuation in top scores may actually be the result of self selection among otherwise high scorers.

efficient

New

Post by efficient » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Good to know, thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:17 am

All I know is that my LSAT may not have even gotten me into my target schools in 2010, now it got me a full+stipend. I'm a fan of this drop :-)

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 am

Platopus wrote:This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Maybe others would disagree, but I don't really think the test has changed since 2010, so learning the test and cracking a 170+ should theoretically be just as "easy" now as in 2010.
totally anecdotal, but i took the lsat in both 2009 and 2016, and i feel like it was harder in 2016. i also agree that theres evidence that many potential "top applicants" are not going into law.

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 am

This is obviously a structural change to the test. I think the idea that somehow all the smart people just stopped taking the LSAT is a bit ludicrous, and just lol at the idea of a 'top school' being a reliable proxy for the intelligence of an applicant.

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 am

This is obviously a personal opinion, but when I was prepping for the LSAT I found that my practice scores dropped by a few points when taking the most recent tests. I felt like logic games became less formulaic and the LR had fewer of those questions you can get in like 20 seconds.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:29 am

Confirmed: People are dumber in 2017 than 2010

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 am

Deserving Porcupine wrote:This is obviously a structural change to the test. I think the idea that somehow all the smart people just stopped taking the LSAT is a bit ludicrous, and just lol at the idea of a 'top school' being a reliable proxy for the intelligence of an applicant.
I don't think this is necessarily true. There's been a lot of media attention to the problems with law schools, and as the recession has receded, people with top qualifications have more options. The overall numbers are down; in 2010 you had the recession effect sending more people to grad school than you do today.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Deserving Porcupine wrote:This is obviously a structural change to the test. I think the idea that somehow all the smart people just stopped taking the LSAT is a bit ludicrous, and just lol at the idea of a 'top school' being a reliable proxy for the intelligence of an applicant.
I don't think this is necessarily true. There's been a lot of media attention to the problems with law schools, and as the recession has receded, people with top qualifications have more options. The overall numbers are down; in 2010 you had the recession effect sending more people to grad school than you do today.
As most things in life are, it's probably a mix of both factors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”