Okay, I've made the choice to reapply - now what do I do different? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hennessy

Gold

Okay, I've made the choice to reapply - now what do I do different?

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

This application cycle, I was accepted to 7 out of 8 applications with substantial scholarships. I was waitlisted at my top choice, XYZ. I received substantial scholarships at higher ranked schools (including nearly a full-ride at a T20.) However, I am very commited to attending this school. I also think I overperformed my numbers at all except that one school.

1. Is it possible that my low GPA / splitter status simply precluded me?
2. Would reapplying earlier in the cycle benefit me? (inb4 counter-cycle)
3. Do I need a new personal statement / references, or should I just toss the same application in?
Last edited by Hennessy on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Re: Okay, I've made the choice to reapply - now what do I do different?

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Maybe you've posted this elsewhere and don't want to rehash, but why is Tulane your top choice?

What did you do to make it clear that you were serious about attending Tulane? Was your PS tailored to it? Also your LSAT and uGPA, where were they relative to the medians?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:.
It's my top choice because I am committed to living in NOLA, and it's the school that has the best job placement in the city. My goals are PI / local govt.

I made the mistake of not submitting the "Why X" essay with my initial application. I later wrote an LOCI (after being WL'd) which said basically what I would put into a Why X essay - that this school was ideal for my goals, and has always been my number one choice. My numbers are GPA < 25th % and LSAT > 75th% (judging from LSN, more like <5th and >95th).

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote: .
Do you have a legitimate addendum issue to write about re the GPA (and did you?)

Maybe re-applying and writing a strong Why X may make a difference and reflect commitment. I would post in the Spivey thread about whether re-appliying with a Why X would make a difference over movement on the waitlist.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:.
I have a chronic disease which at times reflected in my grades. I did not write an addendum, as I think it would sound like an excuse. However, I did incorporate my medical condition into my PS.
Last edited by Hennessy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote: .
Ah sorry to have asked. Would you consider other schools in NOLA? Do you really think there is a meaningful difference between Tulane and Loyola in terms of NOLA placement? I spent my 1L summer in NOLA and didn't seem to be THAT much of a difference if you can keep your debt load low at Loyola and are committed to NOLA. (but that's my anecdotal experience and not worth much)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: reapplying - I have seen pretty regularly here that you don't need new LORs, but you do need a new PS. I think if you go through the whole Spivey thread, there's some advice about this.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Re: reapplying - I have seen pretty regularly here that you don't need new LORs, but you do need a new PS. I think if you go through the whole Spivey thread, there's some advice about this.
Thanks Nony!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”