The Good News for WUSTL Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ModernRomanLaw

New

The Good News for WUSTL

Post by ModernRomanLaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:05 am

According to the ABA required disclosures, WUSTL started offering full tuition scholarships to a significant portion of students in 2013 (to the incoming Class of 2016). Over the following three years, this practice managed to increase their median and 75th percentile LSAT scores by two points each, to 168 and 169, respectively. In terms of standardized test scores, they've gone from well outside the T14 to having a median above Cornell's and Georgetown's.

The good news is that this shameless LSAT whoring seems to have also paid off in terms of employment of graduates. According to employment statistics, the large firm (101+) and clerkship percentages remained pretty stagnant for the classes of 2013, 2014, and 2015 (34.7%, 35.3%, and 36.4%). Then, for the class of 2016, there was a 12-point jump to 48.7%, an increase far more significant than that of any other school. Again, this increase exactly coincides with the significant increase in full tuition scholarships offered to the incoming class of 2016 three years prior.

This is all great news for WUSTL's current and incoming classes who are wondering what happened with employment statistics this past year and whether such increases will be typical. This is also something to think about for anyone next year who will be considering turning down a T14 for a significant scholarship at WUSTL.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Re: The Good News for WUSTL

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:26 am

generally, when drafting press releases you should start with the lede
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:22 am

Also, talk with other publicity people at the school about how to disguise posts like this and make them sound at least somewhat like an earnest student. You have a lot of work to do.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 am

Also, your readers probably understand the difference between causation and correlation.

As a WashU grad, I'm a little embarrassed by this.

BansheeScream

New

Post by BansheeScream » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 am

I can't believe an adcomm would be dumb enough to post this. Has to be some sort of reverse psychology trolling right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 am

All in favor to boycott WashU out of spite, say I

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 am

Do you guys in the administration pronounce it WUSTL or WUSTL?

ModernRomanLaw

New

Post by ModernRomanLaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 pm

lol I'm an idiotic 0L publicly justifying my own choice of WashU. I'm sorry!

Also, I attempted to discuss correlation vs. causation by indicating that the 12-point increase is more than any other school experienced. Therefore, it has to be explained by something specific to WashU. Whether it's the significant scholarships that caused the increase or not is irrelevant

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:15 pm

ModernRomanLaw wrote:lol I'm an idiotic 0L publicly justifying my own choice of WashU. I'm sorry!

Also, I attempted to discuss correlation vs. causation by indicating that the 12-point increase is more than any other school experienced. Therefore, it has to be explained by something specific to WashU. Whether it's the significant scholarships that caused the increase or not is irrelevant
Random variance. No chance firms are keeping up to date on WUSTL's (or any school's medians).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Smaller class plus improved market, if I had to guess.

pleaseberkeley

New

Post by pleaseberkeley » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:16 am

I don't get why OP is being bashed. He is literally stating the statistics, which point to a 12% increase in BigLaw and federal clerkships.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:I don't get why OP is being bashed. He is literally stating the statistics, which point to a 12% increase in BigLaw and federal clerkships.
Because the OP sounded like a WUSTL admissions department plant. I'm still not convinced that they're actually a 0L. It's not uncommon for adcomms to come to online forums and anonymously pump up their own schools.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:I don't get why OP is being bashed. He is literally stating the statistics, which point to a 12% increase in BigLaw and federal clerkships.
Because the OP sounded like a WUSTL admissions department plant. I'm still not convinced that they're actually a 0L. It's not uncommon for adcomms to come to online forums and anonymously pump up their own schools.
Wustl adcomms lurk but don't post. They would also have done this better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:27 am

sublime wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Outed. Who voted for this adcomm to be a mod? Now I know why wustl didnt give me a full ride. They read my PMs!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:56 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
sublime wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Outed. Who voted for this adcomm to be a mod? Now I know why wustl didnt give me a full ride. They read my PMs!
Mods cant read PMs yo. also lol

eta fwiw, the wash u career office has improved SUBSTANTIALLY this past year - forreal. So there's that too.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

yeah this is clearly an 0L trying to justify a decision to attend WUSTL

could've been a prestige-obsessed insecure 1L (rising 2L) as well

C/O 2017 is huge so it'll be interesting to see their employment stats. Anecdotally 2017 seems to be doing well but who knows.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:29 pm

sublime wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
You don't have to kiss ass anymore dude. You already got your scholly.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:yeah this is clearly an 0L trying to justify a decision to attend WUSTL

could've been a prestige-obsessed insecure 1L (rising 2L) as well

C/O 2017 is huge so it'll be interesting to see their employment stats.
Anecdotally 2017 seems to be doing well but who knows.
Hit the nail on the head.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 am

I will say OP's TLS box says he has a full-tuition scholarship with a $15,000/year stipend to WUSTL. If that's a real thing they give out he successfully made me want to apply there.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:38 am

stego wrote:I will say OP's TLS box says he has a full-tuition scholarship with a $15,000/year stipend to WUSTL. If that's a real thing they give out he successfully made me want to apply there.
It's a real thing

Edit - not 100% on the stipend, but they for sure give out $5,000 ones (and stl rent is like $600 for a 1 bedroom)

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:03 pm

I just went to St. Louis recently. I feel bad for people who suck at the LSAT or undergrad because it's an awful place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Martin Brody wrote:I just went to St. Louis recently. I feel bad for people who suck at the LSAT or undergrad because it's an awful place.
Yeah just a little bit better and they can get to a school in Washington, D.C., an absolutely swell town that isn't a hellswamp!

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Martin Brody wrote:I just went to St. Louis recently. I feel bad for people who suck at the LSAT or undergrad because it's an awful place.
Yeah just a little bit better and they can get to a school in Washington, D.C., an absolutely swell town that isn't a hellswamp!
I feel bad for those idiots too.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:03 pm

I love St. Louis. It's (along with a huge schools) why I chose WUSTL over a couple other schools. I want to live there for good.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:04 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
I love St. Louis. It's (along with a huge schools) why I chose WUSTL over a couple other schools. I want to live there for good.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”