LSAT Needed For Columbia, NYU, Chicago Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Trsk345

New

LSAT Needed For Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Post by Trsk345 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:18 am

Curious what LSAT I would need minimum to get into these schools... currently scoring around 168ish and taking in Sept.
Graduated with a 3.92 GPA in econ, was a D1 athlete who set 2 school records for my sport. Will athletic achievement help me significantly here?

Thanks

Nught

New

Re: LSAT Needed For Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Post by Nught » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:48 am

Trsk345 wrote:Curious what LSAT I would need minimum to get into these schools... currently scoring around 168ish and taking in Sept.
Graduated with a 3.92 GPA in econ, was a D1 athlete who set 2 school records for my sport. Will athletic achievement help me significantly here?

Thanks
I think that should make you competitive. If you write well you will have a good shot. I had a 151 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA and got Reserved this year by Columbia. I wrote a killer personal statement. If I had a 168 and a 3.92, I would like to think I'd be in.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 am

25% of NYU's last class entered with an LSAT at or below 166. We don't know the lowest they would accept though. Of course it's not necessarily easy to get admitted even with strong numbers but you have a good chance.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:44 am

A 170 would get you in at least one. I think 172 would get you into all three. Below 170 and you're still probably fine at your current level but it gets dicey if you slip below the 25th percentile. Congrats on your gpa.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:50 am

Nught wrote: I think that should make you competitive. If you write well you will have a good shot. I had a 151 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA and got Reserved this year by Columbia. I wrote a killer personal statement. If I had a 168 and a 3.92, I would like to think I'd be in.
This is not at all a normal outcome for those numbers, and I wouldn't blame it on your PS, regardless of how brilliant you think your writing is. If you're on reserve at Columbia with a 151, it's because there were other factors on your application that made up for the low score (URM, insane softs, etc.). This isn't to say that your application wasn't great, but you shouldn't go around advising people that a really good PS makes up for an LSAT well below the school's 25th.

OP: For CCN, a 168 won't take you out of the running, but you should be shooting for 170+. Don't count on your athletics to "fix" a lower LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:26 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Nught wrote: I think that should make you competitive. If you write well you will have a good shot. I had a 151 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA and got Reserved this year by Columbia. I wrote a killer personal statement. If I had a 168 and a 3.92, I would like to think I'd be in.
This is not at all a normal outcome for those numbers, and I wouldn't blame it on your PS, regardless of how brilliant you think your writing is. If you're on reserve at Columbia with a 151, it's because there were other factors on your application that made up for the low score (URM, insane softs, etc.). This isn't to say that your application wasn't great, but you shouldn't go around advising people that a really good PS makes up for an LSAT well below the school's 25th.

OP: For CCN, a 168 won't take you out of the running, but you should be shooting for 170+. Don't count on your athletics to "fix" a lower LSAT.
I get what you are saying Cavalier. One of the things all of the top law schools say is that there is no minimum LSAT and that they all take a holistic approach when considering applications. Great writing, URM (which I am not), insane softs (yes), top flight recommendations (yes), and just having them like you is important.

I wrote my PS with the intent of having anyone who reads it to come away wanting to admit me. I guess that is what we all try to do. I hear a girl this year wrote a PS about Papa Johns Pizza and got into Yale because she made the admission counsel laugh (not Yale law, just regular Yale).

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:27 pm

AJordan wrote:A 170 would get you in at least one. I think 172 would get you into all three. Below 170 and you're still probably fine at your current level but it gets dicey if you slip below the 25th percentile. Congrats on your gpa.
^This

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Trsk345 wrote:Curious what LSAT I would need minimum to get into these schools... currently scoring around 168ish and taking in Sept.

Thanks
I had a very similar GPA and got into Columbia and Chicago with a 170. I also got into NYU, but wasn't accepted until I received the score back from my Feb LSAT (172). Not sure if I would have been accepted with original score and they just wanted to wait to see what my new score was for the fun of it or whether the score increase made the difference. I have work experience so I don't know if that helped boost my app. Not sure how big of a factor being an athlete will be, but I'm sure it won't hurt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”