Which minor will help me the most when applying to law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CamachoMike

New

Which minor will help me the most when applying to law school?

Post by CamachoMike » Fri May 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Hello Everyone. I'm currently studying Government at NMSU and want to become an immigration lawyer. I don't know which minor will help me stand out from other students, but and I'm looking into getting 1 or 2 minors. I have the option of getting a minor in history, criminal justice, English, Spanish, american government & politics, international relations, anthropology or economics (15-18 credits). My school also offers a Supplementary Major in Law and Society (24 credits). They used to offer an immigration law minor before which would have been great for me but not any more. Anyway, which of these in your opinion would be the best fit for me, and also the most attractive for a law school?
Thanks

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Which minor will help me the most when applying to law school?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 1:38 pm

If you want to be an immigration lawyer (especially if you mean New Mexico) become fluent in Spanish if you're not already.

(Law schools won't care, but you need foreign languages if you want to do immigration, assuming you want to work with immigrants.)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah, just do Spanish. No one actually cares what your minor is, but being bilingual is crazy-useful for immigration law.

CamachoMike

New

Post by CamachoMike » Fri May 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm already fluent in Spanish. I would particularly like to work with Hispanics because here in New Mexico and Western Texas there is a lot of work...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I agree with nony and cav

you're fluent in Spanish, which is good and will probably allow you to do well in your classes to keep your GPA up. But yeah, schools won't care about your major or minor.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri May 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Minoring in Spanish as a fluent speaker is a great way to keep your GPA up. A high GPA would help you stand out more than any minor.

Still, my advice is to pick a minor in something outside your major that you're interested in learning about. I did a minor in business because I thought it would help me stand out for finance jobs, and now I'm kicking myself for wasting all those credits on boring classes rather than interesting Lit or Psych courses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”