Applying and sending scores in later Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
King of the North

Bronze

Applying and sending scores in later

Post by King of the North » Wed May 24, 2017 4:47 pm

So I started studying two weeks ago and am hoping to take the test in Dec., assuming I don't suck at this and I can do well in my studies. Is it a bad idea to apply in, say, November, and then send my score in once the Dec. test results are back? Will sending my score in later have any negative effect on my chances of getting in?

cavalier1138

Re: Applying and sending scores in later

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't see why you couldn't do the September test. But if you're going to test in December, submitting earlier won't make much of a difference. Your applications won't be complete until you have an LSAT score attached.

In terms of a general submission timeline, submitting before Thanksgiving is better than submitting in January.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I don't see why you couldn't do the September test. But if you're going to test in December, submitting earlier won't make much of a difference. Your applications won't be complete until you have an LSAT score attached.

In terms of a general submission timeline, submitting before Thanksgiving is better than submitting in January.
Well, I currently have no way to gauge whether I'll be ready to take the test by September or by December, if even by then.

The other issue is the fact that I have to dedicate some time to the application process. And I think by the time I have an idea of whether I'll be ready in September, the deadline for applying to take it will have come to an end. Unless there isn't one; I'm just assuming there is.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:25 pm

King of the North wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I don't see why you couldn't do the September test. But if you're going to test in December, submitting earlier won't make much of a difference. Your applications won't be complete until you have an LSAT score attached.

Well, I currently have no way to gauge whether I'll be ready to take the test by September or by December, if even by then.

The other issue is the fact that I have to dedicate some time to the application process. And I think by the time I have an idea of whether I'll be ready in September, the deadline for applying to take it will have come to an end. Unless there isn't one; I'm just assuming there is.
I mean, it's important to put in some study time on the LSAT, but six months might be overkill. And you can start on your applications for next cycle now, even though the official apps aren't available.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed May 24, 2017 6:35 pm

I would take the LSAT in September before applying. How will you know which schools to apply to if you don't have an LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 24, 2017 6:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
King of the North wrote:

I mean, it's important to put in some study time on the LSAT, but six months might be overkill. And you can start on your applications for next cycle now, even though the official apps aren't available.
Well I sure hope that you're right. Diagnostic was a 153 and was fairly even across the board-I missed about the same questions on each section. But my gpa is a 3.5, so I'd like to make up for it with a good lsat score. I don't know how possible around 170 will be for me truth be told. As I said above, it's still too early for me to gauge any progress because I've only done LR these first two weeks.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Platopus wrote:I would take the LSAT in September before applying. How will you know which schools to apply to if you don't have an LSAT?
Well, I figure come October/November I'll know based on my PTs where I stand. And so I'll apply to schools I have a chance of getting into and then take my test and submit the lsat score. When is the deadline to apply for the September test?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed May 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm almost certain they won't even send your app without an lsat score. And if they did, why would a school look at it?

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Another issue is the fact that I will be traveling for at least half of July, if not more, and it will be in the middle of the month. That is going to set me back a bit. I am going to try to do drill sets during my travels, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do much more than that. So that's another reason why I hesitate to consider taking it in September.

I also don't know how I feel about taking it in September, not knowing for a month how I did on the test, and then either thinking I did good and pausing my studies or thinking I did bad and studying even harder for the December test.

Maybe I'm just being complicated here. I'm very, very new to this lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 30, 2017 12:24 pm

King of the North wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
King of the North wrote:

Well I sure hope that you're right. Diagnostic was a 153 and was fairly even across the board-I missed about the same questions on each section. But my gpa is a 3.5, so I'd like to make up for it with a good lsat score. I don't know how possible around 170 will be for me truth be told. As I said above, it's still too early for me to gauge any progress because I've only done LR these first two weeks.
That's a pretty good diagnostic, same as mine! You probably have enough time to prepare for September if you really buckle down. Best case you get a killer score in September and still have time to apply early in the cycle. Worst case you have to retake in December and you are no worse off than if you planned on skipping September.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Tue May 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
King of the North wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
King of the North wrote:

That's a pretty good diagnostic, same as mine! You probably have enough time to prepare for September if you really buckle down. Best case you get a killer score in September and still have time to apply early in the cycle. Worst case you have to retake in December and you are no worse off than if you planned on skipping September.
What if I bomb the test in September. Won't that look bad?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 pm

King of the North wrote: What if I bomb the test in September. Won't that look bad?
no

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Tue May 30, 2017 8:29 pm

amta wrote:
King of the North wrote: What if I bomb the test in September. Won't that look bad?
no
When's the deadline to apply for sept. Test?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 pm

King of the North wrote:
late registration starts august 9th, so before then you should register

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 am

Mikey wrote:
King of the North wrote:
August? That's great. Plenty of time to decide whether I am ready or not.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed May 31, 2017 10:53 am

King of the North wrote:
Mikey wrote:
King of the North wrote:
yeah, but at the same time you may want to do it way beforehand incase test centers fill up fast

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 31, 2017 11:03 am

Mikey wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Mikey wrote:
King of the North wrote:
yeah, but at the same time you may want to do it way beforehand incase test centers fill up fast
Understandable. Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm just going to focus on studying, and see where I am come July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”