Firm experience prior to law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
baykid24

New

Firm experience prior to law school?

Post by baykid24 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm considering applying next cycle and I'm wondering how helpful it is to have law firm experience when applying to law school. Since finishing undergrad I've worked as a paralegal at a medium sized immigration firm and have done IP work at a big firm. I'm from California, went to school in the Bay Area, and would like to practice in the Bay Area. I have a 3.5 LSAC GPA, have yet to take the LSAC, and am a URM male (Hispanic). Given that I haven't taken the LSAT, I'm not expecting any predictions of admission to a specific school. However, given all I've mentioned, how will have 2+ years of full-time experience at different law firms help me in admissions? I doubt it will hurt me, but will it be a good plus?

cavalier1138

Re: Firm experience prior to law school?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm

It will be neutral. It will only be a boost if the admissions committee is comparing you to someone with identical numbers who hasn't done anything for two years.

Focus on the LSAT.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 pm

It won't give you much of a boost during the admissions process. However, working at a firm can be valuable in that can expose you to the day-to-day reality of practicing law. You may decide law isn't for you after seeing what goes on at a firm on a daily basis, or firm experience may help you confirm that legal work is something you can see yourself doing.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Assuming you have a decent PS and nothing weird in your LORs, law school admissions is very numbers-driven. This probably won't move the needle for admissions purposes.

However, at OCI, I think this can be a help. You can more credibly explain that you're capable of being a professional around other legal professionals, and you'll at least have *some* idea of what working at a firm is like. The people I did OCI with that had biglaw paralegal experience performed well. Several I know got hired by their former firms.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 pm

To be honest, I think my law firm experience helped me over-perform my numbers. You never know when an adcomm may have the same practice area background as you, or if your application shows an post-LS interest in a certain field, having prior work experience in that field can highlight your commitment. I imagine it's extremely circumstantial, but I think work experience can only help you. My highest ranked school (GPA < 25th / LSAT = 50th) included in my acceptance letter a mention that they were impressed with my IP firm work experience.

However, generally it is nothing compared to the importance of the LSAT/GPA. Like the above posters said, nailing the LSAT is your number one goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”