Low GPA high LSAT UCLA hopeful Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FutureAttorneyGen

New

Low GPA high LSAT UCLA hopeful

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 am

I recently graduated this may with my bachelors degree in political science. I graduated Magna Cum Laude, 3.79 gpa, inducted into the Pi gamma Mu honor society and society of scholars (phi alpha delta), did an honors senior thesis, attorney general and department of justice internships, was part of the debate team and student government. Lastly, I took the February LSAT and received a 171 ( 98 percentile)

Here's the bad: I completed my freshman year at a different college in which two semesters were filled with MULTIPLE F's and C's which was the result of domestic violence, and death in the family. My dream is to work as an assistant attorney general. What are my chances of getting into law schools at all?! I'm nervous, scared and don't know what to do. My dream school is UCLA law or USC Gould Law, do I even stand a chance?

I have not had LSAC calculate my gpa with the two semester full of F's in freshman year at my first college.
Last edited by FutureAttorneyGen on Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

YellowWolf

New

Re: Low GPA high LSAT UCLA hopeful

Post by YellowWolf » Tue May 23, 2017 12:34 am

FutureAttorneyGen wrote:I recently graduated this may with my bachelors degree in political science. I graduated Magna Cum Laude, 3.79 gpa, inducted into the Pi gamma Mu honor society and society of scholars (Phi Alpha Delta), did an honors senior thesis, attorney general and department of justice internships, was part of the debate team and student government. Lastly, I took the February LSAT and received a 171 ( 98 percentile)

Here's the bad: I completed my freshman year at a different college in which two semesters were filled with MULTIPLE F's and C's which was the result of domestic violence, and death in the family. My dream is to work as an assistant attorney general. What are my chances of getting into law schools at all?! I'm nervous, scared and don't know what to do. My dream school is UCLA law or USC Gould Law, do I even stand a chance?
Only thing that matters:
GPA: 3.79
LSAT: 171

LSAC uses your first 40 courses (no matter the college/uni) to calculate your UGPA. You could write an addendum explaining why you have low grades at the start of your degree. Sometimes adcoms are forgiving. Your LSAT is pretty high so you have a decent shot at sticker at lower T-14 (this is contingent on if your UGPA is calculated correctly, if it is your stats are not bad at all).

FutureAttorneyGen

New

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 am

YellowWolf wrote:
FutureAttorneyGen wrote:I recently graduated this may with my bachelors degree in political science. I graduated Magna Cum Laude, 3.79 gpa, inducted into the Pi gamma Mu honor society and society of scholars (Phi Alpha Delta), did an honors senior thesis, attorney general and department of justice internships, was part of the debate team and student government. Lastly, I took the February LSAT and received a 171 ( 98 percentile)

Only thing that matters:
GPA: 3.79
LSAT: 171

LSAC uses your first 40 courses (no matter the college/uni) to calculate your UGPA. You could write an addendum explaining why you have low grades at the start of your degree. Sometimes adcoms are forgiving. Your LSAT is pretty high so you have a decent shot at sticker at lower T-14 (this is contingent on if your UGPA is calculated correctly, if it is your stats are not bad at all).

That gpa does NOT include my two semesters full of F's. :-( it will probability go down to a 2.0

YellowWolf

New

Post by YellowWolf » Tue May 23, 2017 12:44 am

With an LSAT score that high anything is possible. You might be pushed out of T-14 if your GPA is 2.0 but if you already wrote the LSAT and scored that high you might as well just apply and see what happens. A solid PS and an addendum might help sway their decision. If you are set on going to law school you certainly will get in somewhere.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Tue May 23, 2017 12:47 am

The above info about LSAC calculating your first 40 courses is incorrect, unless it is a very recent policy change.

Unfortunately, your bad grades will be calculated. What LSAC does is count ALL grades from ALL schools that were earned prior to your first bachelors degree.

What is your cumulative GPA once you factor in those bad grades? Your LSAT score is a good one, so you at least have some cushion room.

Some people have had success in having grades retroactively removed from transcripts. This differs from institution to institution, but typically requires a showing of extenuating circumstances and a difficult/long process. Still worth looking into.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 am

Did you get a year full of F's and then 4 years at your current college with a 3.79? If so, your LSAC GPA is about a 3.0.

If your freshman year was half C's and half F's, then you're at a ~3.2.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue May 23, 2017 3:04 am

magnum_law wrote:The above info about LSAC calculating your first 40 courses is incorrect, unless it is a very recent policy change.

Unfortunately, your bad grades will be calculated. What LSAC does is count ALL grades from ALL schools that were earned prior to your first bachelors degree.

What is your cumulative GPA once you factor in those bad grades? Your LSAT score is a good one, so you at least have some cushion room.

Some people have had success in having grades retroactively removed from transcripts. This differs from institution to institution, but typically requires a showing of extenuating circumstances and a difficult/long process. Still worth looking into.
TCR, OP.

YellowWolf

New

Post by YellowWolf » Tue May 23, 2017 3:15 am

Sorry OP. I feel stupid :(
#shameonme

FutureAttorneyGen

New

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:Did you get a year full of F's and then 4 years at your current college with a 3.79? If so, your LSAC GPA is about a 3.0.

If your freshman year was half C's and half F's, then you're at a ~3.2.
Oh wow, this actually makes me feel slightly better! Thank you for doing the math.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FutureAttorneyGen

New

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 am

YellowWolf wrote:Sorry OP. I feel stupid :(
#shameonme
It's okay, thank you for taking the time out to help me.

FutureAttorneyGen

New

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 8:00 am

magnum_law wrote:The above info about LSAC calculating your first 40 courses is incorrect, unless it is a very recent policy change.

After your post I did some research on "retroactively withdrawal', I don't see it anywhere in the school policy but I will contact the dean and see if it's possible. Thank you so much.

matchesmalone17

New

Post by matchesmalone17 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am

OP, I think you definitely have a shot at UCLA. I applied this cycle with a 3.0 GPA and a 170 LSAT. Got in, and got some scholly (60k at first, then up to 80).

Since your first year grades were because of really serious obstacles, I'd think you could explain that in an addendum. Good luck!

FutureAttorneyGen

New

Post by FutureAttorneyGen » Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am

matchesmalone17 wrote:OP, I think you definitely have a shot at UCLA. I applied this cycle with a 3.0 GPA and a 170 LSAT. Got in, and got some scholly (60k at first, then up to 80).

Since your first year grades were because of really serious obstacles, I'd think you could explain that in an addendum. Good luck!
WOW!!!! This is hopeful!!!! Thank you so so much!!!

beenoparte125

New

Post by beenoparte125 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 am

I am PMing you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”