Taking AP Credit Courses to Raise LSAC GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Specter

New

Taking AP Credit Courses to Raise LSAC GPA?

Post by Specter » Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm

I've heard that the LSAC counts grades from your. entire undergrad career, so would this work? For example, if I have AP credit for ECON 1, can I take that course at my university and have that class count when the LSAC calculates my GPA calculations even though my university wouldn't award me any units for it?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Re: Taking AP Credit Courses to Raise LSAC GPA?

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Sure as long as you haven't graduated with your bachelor's degree yet.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 pm

If by units you mean credits, then the answer is no. The class will not affect your weighted GPA

Specter

New

Post by Specter » Mon May 22, 2017 5:32 pm

maybeman wrote:If by units you mean credits, then the answer is no. The class will not affect your weighted GPA
Yeah, credits. I was just confused because I've heard that LSAC counts anything before my first bachelor's, but if the class contributes 0 credits to me since I already have credit for it, I didn't see how it would count.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 pm

I think the bigger issue is whether your university would allow you to take it for credit. Why not just take easy classes to bump up the GPA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Specter

New

Post by Specter » Mon May 22, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm just afraid I'll run out of easy classes to take here tbh. I've balanced each semester here with easy and hard classes, so I'd hate to end up taking an entire semester of tough classes with no reprieve. There probably are enough classes here though.

My current LSAC is a 3.72, so I'm just trying to get it above 3.8 before I apply (I'm a rising junior).

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon May 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Specter wrote:I'm just afraid I'll run out of easy classes to take here tbh. I've balanced each semester here with easy and hard classes, so I'd hate to end up taking an entire semester of tough classes with no reprieve. There probably are enough classes here though.

My current LSAC is a 3.72, so I'm just trying to get it above 3.8 before I apply (I'm a rising junior).
I would be surprised if you legitimately took every single "easy" class. Best advice: find that professor that is a real softy and loves giving out A's and make their acquaintance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”