3.92 GPA, Great softs, have not taken LSAT yet Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WhiteMiddleClassGirl

New

3.92 GPA, Great softs, have not taken LSAT yet

Post by WhiteMiddleClassGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am

I am currently a rising junior in college and will definitely graduate a year early, May 2018 (making me a senior). I have a 3.92 GPA (BS in economics) and know for sure that I want to go to law school. I have great softs ( internships at three law firms, attorney general's office, a district court and a federal agency). But I haven't taken the LSAT yet nor have I started studying for it. Should I cram this summer and take it in September and apply EA/ED in the fall or should I take more time to study for it and apply in fall 2018. If I wait to apply I risk my GPA going down and am forced to get a real job, haha. If I apply this fall I would definitely be one of the youngest in the class but I already have experience. Any advice?

Edit: Also will probably receive a letter of rec from a HLS alumni senior judge who I interned for.
Last edited by WhiteMiddleClassGirl on Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Re: 3.92 GPA, Amazing softs, have not taken LSAT yet

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:29 am

Perfect username.

I highly recommend taking time to work/live between undergrad and law school. But regardless, you need to focus on getting a high LSAT. Your softs are middling for law school applicants (sorry to break it to you), and they will not overcome a low LSAT score. With that GPA, you owe it to yourself to get a 170+.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am

Take more time and get a job. Being the youngest/inexperienced in law school isn't an advantage. You can do just fine; you're just way likely to do better at getting jobs/making choices if you have some post-grad work experience.

(though wrt the LSAT you will have to start studying to see how long it takes you to get the score you need. Some savants can walk in with 3 weeks of study and get 170+ but most people need more time.)

And because I know everyone else will say it: Those aren't amazing softs (or great softs. Perfectly typical for K-JD.)

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am

Just an FYI, i'm fairly sure you're going to get shat on for calling those "amazing softs." lots of people who apply have internships or actual full time work experience in different legal capacities, so those experiences are unlikely to make you stand out although they may have been beneficial for you personally or if you can get a recommendation from one of your supervisors from those positions.

i'm confused why you're contemplating applying somewhere early decision. that is rarely ever a good choice, because in more cases than not you end up paying far more than you should for the school you've committed to, and you lose out on the benefit of playing scholarships at different schools against each other. have you taken a diagnostic LSAT or looked at it at all? if you're starting from a higher diagnostic, the summer might be plenty of time to study for the September test and break 170. if you have a 170+ and a 3.92 GPA, you will likely get considerable scholarships at most of the T14. if your diagnostic is low or studying this summer does not improve your score to the appropriate level, keep studying and take it later in the cycle. going and getting a real job will probably be good for you (that's not to pick on you, I think it's beneficial for most people).

WhiteMiddleClassGirl

New

Re: 3.92 GPA, Great softs, have not taken LSAT yet

Post by WhiteMiddleClassGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 9:33 am

thank you for your reply!! And yeah, I guess that they aren't the best softs relative to the applicant pool but considering I did all of that in two years of college I think they're pretty good. I'll start studying and see where I stand in the fall. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am

Your GPA is excellent. To take advantage of it, you need to pair it with an excellent LSAT - that means a score in the 99th percentile. As was said above, some do that in weeks. Others can take 1-2 years.

Follow the study guides here. Don't even apply until you're regularly testing in that range. If you're struggling to get there, ask on the forums here for help. The test is learnable and a score in the 170s is achievable.

Even if it takes two years, the cost benefit is massively in your favor. It will save you hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition costs and you will attend one of the best schools in the nation.

If you rush, you will likely attend a lower ranked school and pay too much to attend.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am

Those aren't great softs.
Don't ED anywhere.
Study hard for the LSAT.
Take at least one gap year and get work experience. You're very young.
Good luck.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

WhiteMiddleClassGirl wrote:I am currently a rising junior in college and will definitely graduate a year early, May 2018 (making me a senior). I have a 3.92 GPA (BS in economics) and know for sure that I want to go to law school. I have great softs ( internships at three law firms, attorney general's office, a district court and a federal agency). But I haven't taken the LSAT yet nor have I started studying for it. Should I cram this summer and take it in September and apply EA/ED in the fall or should I take more time to study for it and apply in fall 2018. If I wait to apply I risk my GPA going down and am forced to get a real job, haha. If I apply this fall I would definitely be one of the youngest in the class but I already have experience. Any advice?

Edit: Also will probably receive a letter of rec from a HLS alumni senior judge who I interned for.
You definitely don't know for sure that you want to go to law school. Take some time off, work, live life, etc. You'll save money, get some life experience, and gain perspective about stuff. I say this as someone who was pretty sure I wanted to go to law school at 22. I ended up taking a few years off and I think I'm having a much better time now than I would have. I also have much more focused goals, and think I'm way happier.

Also, most schools like a year or two of work experience. I know something like 60% of HLS students have at least 2 years of work before coming here.

And there's no award for living your life as quickly as possible. You're only young once, enjoy it. Law school will still be here in a couple years.

WhiteMiddleClassGirl

New

Post by WhiteMiddleClassGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you all for your advice! I think I will definitely take some time especially since I am already graduating early. This has definitely humbled me.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm

WhiteMiddleClassGirl wrote:Thank you all for your advice! I think I will definitely take some time especially since I am already graduating early. This has definitely humbled me.
Good.
1L is like boot camp. They break you down so they can build you back up, training you to "think like a lawyer." Trust me when I say that it is far easier to humble yourself rather than being humbled. :wink:
Best of luck to you and welcome to tls.
I also love your username.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”