What chance do I have at T-14 schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
booknerd

New

What chance do I have at T-14 schools?

Post by booknerd » Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm an African-American male, I go to a top 5 liberal arts college. Right now I just finished sophomore year. My GPA is 3.55 and it's basically impossible for me to raise it above that (an A- at my school is 3.67, and although I've had straight A-'s for the past year, my first semester freshman year I got a C- in one class). And no matter how hard I try, I've never been able to get above an A- in a class. I haven't taken the LSAT yet (I plan to take it sometime next year). I also have a 3.67 GPA for both majors (Political Science and Spanish), I don't know if that matters. I'm wondering if any T-14 schools will accept me. I'm also wondering what LSAT score I need to get to get into a T-14.

half moon

New

Re: What chance do I have at T-14 schools?

Post by half moon » Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Depending on your LSAT, you'll definitely have a chance at some T14's. I got into Michigan and Northwestern with a much lower GPA, and I'm not URM. Shoot for the highest LSAT you can get. A score in the 170s will get you into some T14s, probably with decent scholarships from at least a few.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Last edited by Justtrying2help on Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 pm

half moon wrote:Depending on your LSAT, you'll definitely have a chance at some T14's. I got into Michigan and Northwestern with a much lower GPA, and I'm not URM. Shoot for the highest LSAT you can get. A score in the 170s will get you into some T14s, probably with decent scholarships from at least a few.
Eh? This is way too conservative imo. Based on all the data available, a URM candidate with 3.5+ GPA and 170+ Lsat would only not get invited to a t14 because of yield protection. Otherwise in at 14-H with money at most if not all. Real shot at YS.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am

Impressionist wrote:
half moon wrote:Depending on your LSAT, you'll definitely have a chance at some T14's. I got into Michigan and Northwestern with a much lower GPA, and I'm not URM. Shoot for the highest LSAT you can get. A score in the 170s will get you into some T14s, probably with decent scholarships from at least a few.
Eh? This is way too conservative imo. Based on all the data available, a URM candidate with 3.5+ GPA and 170+ Lsat would only not get invited to a t14 because of yield protection. Otherwise in at 14-H with money at most if not all. Real shot at YS.
Honestly, you're probably right. I was being conservative in my predictions both because I don't know much about how big the URM boost is and because OP doesn't have an LSAT yet. I agree though that if OP's numbers do end up in the range discussed, they should blanket the T14 and expect to get into several, probably including at least a couple of CCN.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”