Elitism is the only discrimination acceptable in LS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chicagoburger

Bronze

Elitism is the only discrimination acceptable in LS

Post by chicagoburger » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

The term "T14" was attacked and replaced by "T13" by many of TLSers here. How can the land of prosperity be tainted by laymen's footprint? It is, to be honest, the last place of discrimination that is acceptable in this law school game. Elitists in T13 don't target a special group, but subtly ridicule victims to make them feel stupid and shamed of their choices. Unfortunately, it has every reason to keep itself alive to maintain the status quo.
I will leave it there and invite discussion.

half moon

New

Re: Elitism is the only discrimination acceptable in LS

Post by half moon » Wed May 17, 2017 11:58 am

This topic seems to come up a lot. Honestly, I don't feel like I see that many "T13 or bust" people on TLS. Rather, I see a recognition that only a handful of schools have both national reach and give you a really strong shot at big law. Sure, some on here can get snarky about it, but their general opinion of which schools are good for those outcomes tends to be backed up by the employment stats.

At the same time, a lot of people here advise applicants to go to non-T13 schools if it fits their goals. Rather than snobbery about going to the highest ranked schools, the general consensus here seems to be about going to the right school for your goals at the right price. For a lot of people who want big law, that's going to be a T13, preferably with a good scholarship. But for others with different goals, its a state flagship, a strong regional, etc.

LittUpGDown

New

Post by LittUpGDown » Wed May 17, 2017 11:58 am

Discussion about what? An arbitrary ranking system based around US News Report listing and employment rates?
My state flagship has a better employment rate than GULC.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed May 17, 2017 12:05 pm

chicagoburger wrote:The term "T14" was attacked and replaced by "T13" by many of TLSers here. How can the land of prosperity be tainted by laymen's footprint? It is, to be honest, the last place of discrimination that is acceptable in this law school game. Elitists in T13 don't target a special group, but subtly ridicule victims to make them feel stupid and shamed of their choices. Unfortunately, it has every reason to keep itself alive to maintain the status quo.
I will leave it there and invite discussion.
It isn't elitism as much as a practical reality that higher ranked schools offer better employment opportunities.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Is this another "TLS is all T13 or bust" strawmen smackdown or is there a point to this thread?

GULC has gotten the same level of ridicule it always has, there's just an external event that further solidifies the same narrative and people gonna have fun with it. GULC employment still trails the T13 significantly and advice regarding GULC hasn't changed (from reasonable, respectable posters) because of the rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed May 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:is there a point to this thread?
I think we know the answer to this is nope!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed May 17, 2017 12:48 pm

In the professional world it's called 'fitness' and it is indeed a discriminator. Systemic, socioeconomic caste to an extent. A place for everyone and everyone in their place. It's why stuff like affirmative action has actionable benefits. Yay society/human nature. Reality, man.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Stop, chicagoburger. This forum isn't a soapbox for your unhappiness with the law school admissions process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”