What LSAT Score? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MVA94

New

What LSAT Score?

Post by MVA94 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:01 am

Hi, Everyone. This is my first post! I hope this is the right subforum for this.

I am taking the LSAT in June, and I was hoping to establish a good target score.

i attended a T10 university for undergrad--one that does grade deflation--and my LSAC GPA is a 3.76.

As far as soft factors go, I will be finishing up a Masters at the University of Cambridge (UK) next year.

If I am hoping to go T14, what score should I aim for? Thanks in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: What LSAT Score?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 am

You should aim for a 180.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 am

Realistically anything in the 170s all but guarantees t14 placement for you. Higher you get the less money you'll pay. So yeah, 180 :mrgreen:.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:00 am

Is this something you have the unique ability to dial into? So if we said 170, you'd stop a few questions short and leave the exam? If you want to go to a well-regarded law school and get money to sweeten the deal then I don't think you need to ask this question.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You should aim for a 180.
This

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 am

If you haven't started studying yet, and are just now trying to figure out what score you should be aiming for, you won't hit it in June.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:If you haven't started studying yet, and are just now trying to figure out what score you should be aiming for, you won't hit it in June.
Yeah. If and when you fall short, be sure to retake in September and/or December.
Aim for 180 obviously, but try to get above a school's 75th percentile since your GPA won't be your biggest asset (it's not bad, but it's not really good either for T14). So 170+.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:If you haven't started studying yet, and are just now trying to figure out what score you should be aiming for, you won't hit it in June.
Nah.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Nah.
If someone hasn't started studying yet, it's too late to get to that level unless you're ridiculously naturally good at LSAT skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Rigo wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Nah.
If someone hasn't started studying yet, it's too late to get to that level unless you're ridiculously naturally good at LSAT skills.
Pretty sure this is largely TLS flame (or at least exaggeration).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Plenty of merely decently bright people I've known IRL have broken 170 with minimal preparation.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Plenty of merely decently bright people I've known IRL have broken 170 with minimal preparation.
So what?
Let's assume OP is an average person.

Maybe they have been studying! Who knows, but the post wasn't incorrect.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Nah.
Pretty sure this is largely TLS flame (or at least exaggeration).
Def not ime but okay.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Rigo wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Plenty of merely decently bright people I've known IRL have broken 170 with minimal preparation.
So what?

Average person from a T10 UG? Average MA cadidate at Cambridge. If so, there's probably enough time for him/her to break into the low 170s.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Take it in June if you are scoring in your target score area, and if you aren't satisfied with the result take it again later this year with my practice. Schools don't average the score and really just care about the highest. Good luck.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri May 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Rigo wrote:
So what?

Average person from a T10 UG? Average MA cadidate at Cambridge. If so, there's probably enough time for him/her to break into the low 170s.
what if they worked really hard to achieve those thing, hikko?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Rigo wrote:
So what?

I think you vastly overestimate what those qualifications say about the potential applicant. Aside from a loose correlation to SAT/ACT score, T10UG (they didn't say if public or private, and that makes a difference) doesn't say anything about your potential/innate LSAT ability.

Same thing for a graduate degree from Cambridge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Average person from a T10 UG? Average MA cadidate at Cambridge. If so, there's probably enough time for him/her to break into the low 170s.
Really? 170 is roughly 97th percentile. I don't doubt that there are people who can achieve that without a lot of prep, the the majority who do score at or above do so with a good amount of prep. So maybe 10% of 3% (.3%) can hit it with minimal prep. Those are not odds that I'd rely on.

MVA94

New

Post by MVA94 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Sorry, I probably should have been more specific about things when making my original post.
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Rigo wrote:
So what?

I think you vastly overestimate what those qualifications say about the potential applicant. Aside from a loose correlation to SAT/ACT score, T10UG (they didn't say if public or private, and that makes a difference) doesn't say anything about your potential/innate LSAT ability.

Same thing for a graduate degree from Cambridge.
Private. Top 10 Undergrad, as in from this list: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... iversities

I have been studying for about a month and a half, and I have roughly a month to go. My diagnostic score, at the moment, is 164-165.

Hope this information clarifies some of the confusion here.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri May 12, 2017 5:33 pm

MVA94 wrote:Sorry, I probably should have been more specific about things when making my original post.

Private. Top 10 Undergrad, as in from this list: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... iversities

I have been studying for about a month and a half, and I have roughly a month to go. My diagnostic score, at the moment, is 164-165.

Hope this information clarifies some of the confusion here.
Cool, now we've got a bit more info...not that the Public/private T10 really matters at all.

What matters is this: what are you currently testing at? You diag'd at 164/165, or you are currently PTing at 164/165?

I diag'd at 164 and improved to 168 in four weeks. Then I put it all aside for 5 months. Started studying again at the end of March for the June test, and I'm currently averaging 172/173 on PTs (high 175/low 171 since restarting).

I'd say to feel confident you will get at least a T14 admission, you want 168+. With your GPA, a 170+ should get you lots of scholarship money at some lower T14s, as well as giving you a shot at admission for the majority of the T14 (this past cycle I got in everywhere Chicago and down with a 168/3.98, but I feel that I outperformed my numbers).

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sat May 13, 2017 3:18 am

I was scoring like 168s on practice tests until I realized the night before the test that the sections were 35 minutes and not 30 minutes long. Maybe that's your problem?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat May 13, 2017 3:22 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
Rigo wrote:
So what?

I think the average LSAT score for Harvard College students was 166.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat May 13, 2017 7:33 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Rigo wrote:
So what?

I think the average LSAT score for Harvard College students was 166.
Thought it was slightly higher now, but the average student also probably doesn't spend a month preparing.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat May 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Hikikomorist wrote: Thought it was slightly higher now, but the average student also probably doesn't spend a month preparing.
Oh ya I'm referring to data like a decade old, figured it hadn't changed much.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:38 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:I was scoring like 168s on practice tests until I realized the night before the test that the sections were 35 minutes and not 30 minutes long. Maybe that's your problem?
lmfao grade A trolling

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”