Why is Georgetown and Cornell better for Big Law than UCLA and WUSTL? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pleaseberkeley

New

Why is Georgetown and Cornell better for Big Law than UCLA and WUSTL?

Post by pleaseberkeley » Fri May 12, 2017 3:29 am

In regards to statistics, a Median lSAT score of 167 is the median for UCLA, Vanderbilt, UT, Georgetown, and Cornell. WUSTL has a 168 median LSAT, tied with Northwestern and Umich, higher than Berkeley's 166. All of these schools have the same GPA median.

So, whats going on here? Why are chances of biglaw dismal at some of these and good at others?

AnMzungu

Bronze

Re: Why is Georgetown and Cornell better for Big Law than UCLA and WUSTL?

Post by AnMzungu » Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 am

Your titles entails that you will never understand.

pleaseberkeley

New

Post by pleaseberkeley » Fri May 12, 2017 5:26 am

AnMzungu wrote:Your titles entails that you will never understand.
What was the point of making a smartass comment when you could have helped me by answering the question?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 am

What answer are you looking for? Some schools have better reputations and better national placement ability, even though they largely pull from the same pool of students. That's why you look at job stats instead of medians to determine where you want to go.

Edit: Also, the biglaw gap between Georgetown and UCLA/WashU is actually relatively small, considering the steep drop-off once you go lower in the rankings.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 12, 2017 6:29 am

pleaseberkeley wrote:In regards to statistics, a Median lSAT score of 167 is the median for UCLA, Vanderbilt, UT, Georgetown, and Cornell. WUSTL has a 168 median LSAT, tied with Northwestern and Umich, higher than Berkeley's 166. All of these schools have the same GPA median.

So, whats going on here? Why are chances of biglaw dismal at some of these and good at others?
because more biglaw firms hire from some than others, and stats don't translate absolutely into hiring. Not sure what else you're looking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 am

If stats mattered for hiring law firms would ask for GPA and LSAT. It's generally about the school's reputation and location.

pleaseberkeley

New

Post by pleaseberkeley » Fri May 12, 2017 12:26 pm

poptart123 wrote:If stats mattered for hiring law firms would ask for GPA and LSAT. It's generally about the school's reputation and location.
So then, the question becomes: What gives some schools with similar stats better reputations than others?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:32 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:
poptart123 wrote:If stats mattered for hiring law firms would ask for GPA and LSAT. It's generally about the school's reputation and location.
So then, the question becomes: What gives some schools with similar stats better reputations than others?
Because reputation isn't "given". It's not like there's an awards show every year where major employers assign numerical rankings to schools for their reputation. Once you're in law school, no one will ever ask about your LSAT and undergraduate GPA again (except for some weird outlier firms I've heard about that ask for undergraduate transcripts in some cases). Those statistics are meaningless outside of admissions offices.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Bos-Wash proximity and prestige.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:
UCLA feeds to smaller markets than GULC and Cornell. East Coast bias for east coast schools. and no one outside the midwest has ever heard of a Washington U in St. Louis prior to applying to law school
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Cornell is better for biglaw because they place mainly into New York, the largest legal market by far. Their LSAT median is the second lowest among the T13 because of location.

Georgetown is better for biglaw because they place mainly into New York and DC, the two largest legal markets, and have a strong national reputation in the other major markets.

UCLA is worse for biglaw because they place 90% of grads into CA (SF/SV and LA) which only has so many biglaw firms. Their LSAT is also somewhat inflated because of location (CA residents don't want to leave, and non-residents want to come to CA).

WUSTL is worse for biglaw because it places mainly into smaller Midwest markets. They're also the least selective of this group despite their medians because they take tons of splitters and reverse splitters (look at their 25th percentiles).

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:34 pm

What everyone else said. Also, you're making far too much of the LSAT medians. They're easy to game. WUSTL has like zero distance between their 50th and 75th, and their 25th is consistently around 160. They let a ton of people in at the bottom that would absolutely not make the cut at MBCG.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Rigo wrote:Bos-Wash proximity and prestige.
Bos?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Fri May 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Cornell and Georgetown also have reputations that have been built up over decades. At this point, the top schools have strong alumni networks in major firms, proven track records of producing quality graduates, and as people mentioned above, tight connections to major legal markets. A school can boost LSAT medians quickly by throwing money at high scoring applicants. Building up a top tier nationwide reputation and network takes a lot longer.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri May 12, 2017 5:41 pm

stego wrote:
Rigo wrote:Bos-Wash proximity and prestige.
Bos?
Boston-WashingtonDC. The Acela corridor.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:42 pm

half moon wrote:Cornell and Georgetown also have reputations that have been built up over decades. At this point, the top schools have strong alumni networks in major firms, proven track records of producing quality graduates, and as people mentioned above, tight connections to major legal markets. A school can boost LSAT medians quickly by throwing money at high scoring applicants. Building up a top tier nationwide reputation and network takes a lot longer.
USC and Notre Dame have all of these (perhaps the best alumni networks and lay prestige in their respective regions, plus bona fide national rep) and they aren't even on UCLA/WUSTL's level. So it has to be something more I would think.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 pm

dm1683 wrote:
half moon wrote:Cornell and Georgetown also have reputations that have been built up over decades. At this point, the top schools have strong alumni networks in major firms, proven track records of producing quality graduates, and as people mentioned above, tight connections to major legal markets. A school can boost LSAT medians quickly by throwing money at high scoring applicants. Building up a top tier nationwide reputation and network takes a lot longer.
USC and Notre Dame have all of these (perhaps the best alumni networks and lay prestige in their respective regions, plus bona fide national rep) and they aren't even on UCLA/WUSTL's level. So it has to be something more I would think.
I think comparing the alumni networks at USC/ND to a T13 school is a little silly. I'm sure there are plenty of USC alums ready to help current students, but a school like Cornell just has way more representation in large firms and prestige positions across the country.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
I think comparing the alumni networks at USC/ND to a T13 school is a little silly. I'm sure there are plenty of USC alums ready to help current students, but a school like Cornell just has way more representation in large firms and prestige positions across the country.
True, but when I think of what "strong alumni network" means, I don't think "has more representation at top firms/positions." I think more along the lines of "has grads who are especially willing to help/step up to the plate for people from their school." That's what USC and ND are famous for.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 13, 2017 9:04 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Lay prestige doesn't matter. It matters what other lawyers think since they're the ones doing the hiring at firms.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:11 pm

dm1683 wrote: True, but when I think of what "strong alumni network" means, I don't think "has more representation at top firms/positions." I think more along the lines of "has grads who are especially willing to help/step up to the plate for people from their school." That's what USC and ND are famous for.
Right. But the key factors that distinguish Cornell's strong alumni network from Notre Dame's strong alumni network is where those alumni are situated and what they're doing.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat May 13, 2017 10:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:
Because reputation isn't "given". It's not like there's an awards show every year where major employers assign numerical rankings to schools for their reputation. Once you're in law school, no one will ever ask about your LSAT and undergraduate GPA again (except for some weird outlier firms I've heard about that ask for undergraduate transcripts in some cases). Those statistics are meaningless outside of admissions offices.
Isn't the "awards show" US News?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
pleaseberkeley wrote:
Isn't the "awards show" US News?
Law firms don't assign the rankings in US News, nor do they necessarily care what those rankings are

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat May 13, 2017 10:16 pm

stego wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote: Isn't the "awards show" US News?
Law firms don't assign the rankings in US News, nor do they necessarily care what those rankings are
Peer assessment score & lawyers and judges assessment score are pretty big factors in the rankings though, so successful grads are in positions to reinforce the self fulfilling loop.

It's really hard to break up the T13 no matter what the inputs (LSAT score) are from year to year. A lot of this stuff is ingrained and systemic and thus leads to better outputs at Georgetown and Cornell despite the same inputs as UCLA and WUSTL.

slurp

New

Post by slurp » Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 am

dm1683 wrote:
USC is easily in the same class as UCLA/WUSTL (I don't know enough about ND's employment stats to throw them in). Just look at the past five or so year average of biglaw/clerk percentages.

OP, check out http://www.lawschooltransparency.com

Cornell's biglaw/clerkship stats are significantly greater than the other schools you mentioned, and LSAT/GPA should no be a consideration at all if you are gunning for biglaw. Don't go to a non-t13 if you want a ~75% chance at landing a position in biglaw

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”