Removed Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tha_Trademark

New

Removed

Post by Tha_Trademark » Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Last edited by Tha_Trademark on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Good stats but no WE at all

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Tha_Trademark wrote:175/4.0/URM (Native American). Obviously stats are great and I'm working hard on essays/LOR/etc. But, I've never had an internship or any office-environment type work experience. All I have is some extremely sporadic part-time stuff. As a K-JD, will the lack of WE raise too many red flags and sink my chances at top schools?
As a Native American with those stats, you could probably have killed someone and still been an auto admit at Harvard, so I think you'll probably do fine.

But, if you don't do well this upcoming cycle, just sit a year and get some work experience - your scores will be good for a few years, and there's no rush to go to school.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm

You're stats are so good that I'm almost tempted to call troll. No, WE won't matter even in the slightest. You will be accepted literally to every school you apply to, seriously.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Platopus wrote:You're stats are so good that I'm almost tempted to call troll. No, WE won't matter even in the slightest. You will be accepted literally to every school you apply to, seriously.
Ehh, Yale might not let him in if his application is bad.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon May 08, 2017 10:23 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
Platopus wrote:You're stats are so good that I'm almost tempted to call troll. No, WE won't matter even in the slightest. You will be accepted literally to every school you apply to, seriously.
Yeah, you're actually probably right. I'll tone back my original statement: OP you have very good chances at every school. The lack of WE won't hurt you. It's not doing you any favors, but don't keep yourself up at night.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 10:53 pm

I really hope you get/take a full ride to a T13 over paying exorbitantly for H. Most options will likely be on the table (allowing for YP and some variability in admissions).

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon May 08, 2017 10:54 pm

What? Great numbers but not troll numbers. No one's a lock at YS, and lack of WE can hurt even those with high numbers (particularly when it comes to scholarships).

OP, you should do very well regardless. That said, there are many advantages and no disadvantages to taking a year off to get WE, and you should seriously consider it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Alexandros wrote:
What? Great numbers but not troll numbers. No one's a lock at YS, and lack of WE can hurt even those with high numbers (particularly when it comes to scholarships).

OP, you should do very well regardless. That said, there are many advantages and no disadvantages to taking a year off to get WE, and you should seriously consider it.
I would happily sign off on requiring people answer "Are you K-JD?" with a follow-on question of "What is your compelling reason to not take a year off to figure out your professional fate for your foreseeable future?"

People would ignore answering that question, but it's so incredibly valid.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:

A URM with a 4.0 and a 175 stating that they are worrying that a lack WE will "sink my chances at a top school" is a bit hyperbolic. Sure, nothing is guaranteed, especially YS, but let's be real. OP has about as good of a shot as anyone can get. The sample size is undoubtedly very,very small, but that speaks volumes in itself:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Platopus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

A URM with a 4.0 and a 175 stating that they are worrying that a lack WE will "sink my chances at a top school" is a bit hyperbolic. Sure, nothing is guaranteed, especially YS, but let's be real. OP has about as good of a shot as anyone can get. The sample size is undoubtedly very,very small, but that speaks volumes in itself:

I'm not questioning that - Just the troll accusation.

A sample of 3 cannot really be trusted - No one has better than a coin flip chance at YS. My point about WE still stands.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Platopus wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Everything about those numbers is hyperbolic, tbf. This could very well be 2-3 people who have provided data to LSN (and that's assuming it's accurate).

The simple reality is that the OP should perfect their apps to the best of their abilities (downplay lack of WE, show academic achievement), and apply broadly within the T13. No one can chance the OP accurately because they are 1/32 Native American identifying with multiple tribes. Nothing about their applications will be objectively easy to chance.

OP, make your applications flawless. Seriously, read through every letter with a fine-toothed comb. Get help from people you trust (to possibly include TLS if you find this hive mind trustworthy). And then submit. No one here can reliably give you insight into how your applications will turn out.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 pm

I think you're in excellent shape with those numbers; the lack of W/E won't hurt you. Nonetheless, don't take that as an opportunity to slack off on your personal statement or recommenders. Put in your best effort and you will be rewarded.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
I think even Yale would take a NA 4.0/175 if their whole personal statement was "Admit me"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 am

jjcorvino wrote:
I think even Yale would take a NA 4.0/175 if their whole personal statement was "Admit me"
Perhaps, but reading a bit further into it, this guy is 1/32nd NA.

Off topic, but I'm technically 1/16 Cherokee. Seems like a slightly messed up system if 1/32nd gets some magic edge over 1/16 just because it's harder to claim a certain tribe over others. IDK. Probably not the place for this discussion, just seems a bit odd.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am

jjcorvino wrote:

Off topic, but I'm technically 1/16 Cherokee. Seems like a slightly messed up system if 1/32nd gets some magic edge over 1/16 just because it's harder to claim a certain tribe over others. IDK. Probably not the place for this discussion, just seems a bit odd.
4.0/175 is probably a better than 75% chance at Yale even without the URM status.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

jjcorvino wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

4.0/175 is probably a better than 75% chance at Yale even without the URM status.
Agreed that it is a very high chance. My initial statement was just an argument that it wouldn't be automatic acceptance at Yale, which I still stand by. None of us know exactly how Yale admissions works, and an awful application could very well get denied.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Agreed that it is a very high chance. My initial statement was just an argument that it wouldn't be automatic acceptance at Yale, which I still stand by. None of us know exactly how Yale admissions works, and an awful application could very well get denied.
I agree, even though I'm convinced OP is almost certainly a lock, I will agree that if he/she is careless in his/her personal statement, Y250, etc., it will come off as cocky and could certainly be a ding. OP still has a lot of work to put in, but it's his/hers to lose, IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

jjcorvino wrote:

Tribal membership is determined by the tribe; it's not always about blood quantum. It's more a political identity than racial. Someone who's 1/32 may actually be a more involved member of a tribe and identify far more as Native than someone who's 1/16. (I know Cherokee is particularly hard though.)

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Who cares if Yale lets OP in or not. OPs got a Ruby with their name on it. Personally, I would work for a year or two with an eye on making sure law was what I wanted to do and on acquiring stories for job interviews. Also, for the sake of not being k-jd.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”