When is earliest to start applications? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScroogeMcDuck

New

When is earliest to start applications?

Post by ScroogeMcDuck » Sun May 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I am applying to matriculate in the fall of 2018. It seems that the earliest time to submit my applications is September 1, 2017. I just wanted to know if law schools' application questions/essay topics will change. I would like to start writing them soon, as I have free time now. I just don't want to write them now if schools change their questions/topics. I appreciate your help.

-McDuck

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: When is earliest to start applications?

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun May 07, 2017 1:09 pm

I love that you came to TLS guns a blazin' with the avatar/name combo. I am also curious about the answer to this question...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Pretty much everything you need for most schools won't change year over year. You'll need a resume, 2 page personal statement, optional diversity statement, and you'll need to get your letters of recommendation submitted to LSAC. This can all be done well in advance of September 1st. The only parts you'll have for each specific application will be things like filling in education history, awards, work history, some character and fitness questions (with addenda if you have any C&F issues). It's completely feasible to fire off all of your apps on day one with all of this prep work done in advance.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Sun May 07, 2017 1:53 pm

It may also be worthwhile to visit campuses over the summer and early fall. That's something I wish I had done before I applied. It's the best way to get a "feel" for the campus, the neighborhood, and the student body. There were a couple schools where I was on the margin for admission but ended up getting W/L. If I had visited that may have shown enough interest to put me over the edge. At a minimum I would have had more interesting things to say in my "Why X" and LOCIs.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:39 pm

AdieuCali wrote:It may also be worthwhile to visit campuses over the summer and early fall. That's something I wish I had done before I applied. It's the best way to get a "feel" for the campus, the neighborhood, and the student body. There were a couple schools where I was on the margin for admission but ended up getting W/L. If I had visited that may have shown enough interest to put me over the edge. At a minimum I would have had more interesting things to say in my "Why X" and LOCIs.
I'd strongly recommend not visiting a law school when classes aren't in session. Also, any considerations about "feel" of a campus/student body should come into consideration only when you're looking at two schools with identical costs and job prospects for your desired career path.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Sun May 07, 2017 3:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:It may also be worthwhile to visit campuses over the summer and early fall. That's something I wish I had done before I applied. It's the best way to get a "feel" for the campus, the neighborhood, and the student body. There were a couple schools where I was on the margin for admission but ended up getting W/L. If I had visited that may have shown enough interest to put me over the edge. At a minimum I would have had more interesting things to say in my "Why X" and LOCIs.
I'd strongly recommend not visiting a law school when classes aren't in session. Also, any considerations about "feel" of a campus/student body should come into consideration only when you're looking at two schools with identical costs and job prospects for your desired career path.
Concur with this. OP says he wants to apply ASAP, so a summer visit is better than no visit. But a September visit and an October application is a significantly better option.

There's some logistical things you can learn on a visit though. I did a mock commute to Manhattan from the suburb where my wife would want to live. I currently drive 1hr+ to work so I didn't think it would be a big deal but it was miserable. Big reason I settled on Cville was that I could have a large home for a family and dog 10 minutes away from the school. I'm pretty sure I'll appreciate having those 2 extra hours a day compared to the NYC schools

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 pm

AdieuCali wrote:OP says he wants to apply ASAP, so a summer visit is better than no visit. But a September visit and an October application is a significantly better option.
Did I miss a reason OP has to visit before they apply? I can't think of any. Even if you think they might write better Why Xs after visiting (which may be true, but seems unnecessary), they could plan Sept/Oct visits and send them in right after they visit. They would just need to know that UVA moves very fast in Sept, and Duke has PT, right?

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Mon May 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Is your LSAT score already solid? If you have spare time but are still planning to sit for the LSAT in June I would focus on studying. Otherwise I would do the following (my approach). Look at personal statement and diversity statement recs for the schools you may apply to on their websites (some can be more than 3 pages or have different font size requirements) and then craft that bad boy. Focus on the actual essays a little closer to the application opening, unless you are for sure applying to Yale then you can start on the standard 250 now.

ScroogeMcDuck

New

Post by ScroogeMcDuck » Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:Is your LSAT score already solid? If you have spare time but are still planning to sit for the LSAT in June I would focus on studying. Otherwise I would do the following (my approach). Look at personal statement and diversity statement recs for the schools you may apply to on their websites (some can be more than 3 pages or have different font size requirements) and then craft that bad boy. Focus on the actual essays a little closer to the application opening, unless you are for sure applying to Yale then you can start on the standard 250 now.
Thank you for the informative response. I am finished with the LSAT and I am applying to the entire T 14 plus like ten T 1s. I will have four years of management consulting experience and my CFA, so I am hoping that helps me with some of the upper T 14.
-McDuck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScroogeMcDuck

New

Post by ScroogeMcDuck » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 pm

AdieuCali wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Concur with this. OP says he wants to apply ASAP, so a summer visit is better than no visit. But a September visit and an October application is a significantly better option.

There's some logistical things you can learn on a visit though. I did a mock commute to Manhattan from the suburb where my wife would want to live. I currently drive 1hr+ to work so I didn't think it would be a big deal but it was miserable. Big reason I settled on Cville was that I could have a large home for a family and dog 10 minutes away from the school. I'm pretty sure I'll appreciate having those 2 extra hours a day compared to the NYC schools
Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep that in mind. If you don't mind my asking, what is Cville? I used to commute into Manhattan and it was a nightmare.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 pm

ScroogeMcDuck wrote:
AdieuCali wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep that in mind. If you don't mind my asking, what is Cville? I used to commute into Manhattan and it was a nightmare.
Charlottesville, VA. The illustrious home of UVA in the heart of Central VA.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:57 pm

ScroogeMcDuck wrote:
rizzlebizness wrote:Is your LSAT score already solid? If you have spare time but are still planning to sit for the LSAT in June I would focus on studying. Otherwise I would do the following (my approach). Look at personal statement and diversity statement recs for the schools you may apply to on their websites (some can be more than 3 pages or have different font size requirements) and then craft that bad boy. Focus on the actual essays a little closer to the application opening, unless you are for sure applying to Yale then you can start on the standard 250 now.
Thank you for the informative response. I am finished with the LSAT and I am applying to the entire T 14 plus like ten T 1s. I will have four years of management consulting experience and my CFA, so I am hoping that helps me with some of the upper T 14.
-McDuck
In that case, work on your apps and have them ready to "hit send" on September 1.
Do you have your LoRs? If not get those immediately. My advice is to give your recommenders a "deadline" of July 31. That gives you a month of leeway. Lots of stuff can happen to delay things on both sides (prof can get sick/go on vacation/get really busy/go MIA, etc; LSAC can have delays too, although it is very rare when you apply that early; still possible so better safe than sorry). Trust me when I say you don't need the added stress.

As an example, I took the June LSAT, told my recommenders I needed my LoRs by July 31, planned to submit apps on September 1 and ended up submitting October 1 instead due to unforeseen delay. I received my first acceptance November 5, if IIRC.
My plan worked out well for me.
Good luck!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:20 am

UVA2B wrote:Charlottesville, VA. The illustrious home of UVA in the heart of Central VA.
You should have said "Mr. Jefferson's University" to keep it going.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Charlottesville, VA. The illustrious home of UVA in the heart of Central VA.
You should have said "Mr. Jefferson's University" to keep it going.
Yeah, but then we deal with "but he actually went to W&M" and some diatribe on whether UVA should distance itself from TJ for slave ownership. This way I successfully avoid both land mines.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 am

How would you get LORs done so far in advance? Don't you need to give your professors specific forms to fill out?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:46 pm

etramak wrote:How would you get LORs done so far in advance? Don't you need to give your professors specific forms to fill out?
no. you would ask them to write you a LOR and then send them the link to upload it via LSAC

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:50 pm

As cavalier said, visiting in the summer when classes are not in session can be a waste. However, if you can visit when classes are in session and sit in on a class, talk to current students, get a tour of the law school, you can pick up nice anecdotal material to include in your Why X essays, which I thought was helpful. After you visit and have clicked through their websites, you can start drafting Why X essays immediately.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”