Really worried about the future of IP law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chicagoburger

Bronze

Really worried about the future of IP law

Post by chicagoburger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:54 pm

http://outsidethelawschoolscam.blogspot ... story.html

Blog like this makes me really worried about the future of IP law.

Does anyone read Outsidethelawschoolscam blog? Are they legit?

Some comments were even saying " For many individuals, once your billing rate gets too high, the form will get rid of you for a cheaper alternative. Seen it happen many times. Patent law is saturated. "

Is it true that IP law is still hot today versus other fields of law? Or is it really saturated already?

grades??

Silver

Re: Really worried about the future of IP law

Post by grades?? » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Weren't you banned?

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 pm

chicagoburger wrote:http://outsidethelawschoolscam.blogspot ... story.html

Blog like this makes me really worried about the future of IP law.
:shock:

chicagoburger wrote:Does anyone read Outsidethelawschoolscam blog? Are they legit?
:wink:

chicagoburger wrote:Some comments were even saying " For many individuals, once your billing rate gets too high, the form will get rid of you for a cheaper alternative. Seen it happen many times. Patent law is saturated. "
:cry:

chicagoburger wrote:Is it true that IP law is still hot today versus other fields of law? Or is it really saturated already?
:?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:38 pm

It's anecdotal evidence about the danger of going to a school with poor employment prospects. (It also doesn't say what kind of engineering the poster did, which I believe makes a difference.) The takeaway here should not be that IP is oversaturated. It should be that some law schools are not worth the investment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodxkarma

New

Post by goodxkarma » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's anecdotal evidence about the danger of going to a school with poor employment prospects. (It also doesn't say what kind of engineering the poster did, which I believe makes a difference.) The takeaway here should not be that IP is oversaturated. It should be that some law schools are not worth the investment.
Seconding this. I'm a 2016 grad from a T20, networked hard during 1L and got an awesome in-house IP position for my 1L summer, which gave me something to talk about in my interviews. I have engineering experience but no technical degree, and still managed to get an IP summer associate position in a BigLaw firm, and a subsequent offer to join the firm permanently. Most of my law school friend circle is in IP, and all of them - including those with grades outside the top 20% - have BigLaw jobs, with only one exception (someone who never really wanted BigLaw and didn't network hard for it).

Don't go to a bad law school, do decently in your 1L year, and network hard. Have previous job experience that confirms your interest in IP, and ideally, get an IP position for your 1L summer, even if it's not at a firm. The IP market is slower than it was 5 years ago, but it's doing fine and we're definitely still taking summers / new hires.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 pm

So, a person went to a borderline TTT, got below median grades in 1L, and graduated at the height of the economic crash in 2008 was unable to find a job?

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm

BrainsyK wrote:So, a person went to a borderline TTT, got below median grades in 1L, and graduated at the height of the economic crash in 2008 was unable to find a job?

Also, though he doesn't specify, one can infer from his reference to other engineering fields like EE and CS that he was probably in ME or some other low-demand engineering subfield. Also no mention of a graduate degree, just WE. So... yeah, not really sure how generalizable this is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”