UCI vs. UCD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
khaleesi_k

New

UCI vs. UCD

Post by khaleesi_k » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm

So I've been planning on attending UCI but I also just got into Davis. UCI has the higher ranking, but Davis is more established and has a strong alumni network.
I want to do biglaw in California, and both schools are offering me about the same amount of money.
Thoughts?

waldorf

Gold

Re: UCI vs. UCD

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:03 pm

COA for each?

Neither school gives you a more than a 15-16% shot at BL.

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Do you want socal or bay area?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Biglaw in CA is going to be REALLY difficult from either. Just make sure you adjust your expectations before attending either; be okay with PI work, low level government work, etc.

That said, what's your total COA? Like, sure they're offering the same amount of money. But if they're both offering like $15k a year I'd say both options are bad. Are you getting in-state tuition?

Need more info before giving a good answer, but in general I'd say take UCI if you want SoCal and Davis if you want Sacramento/some chance at the Bay Area.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in the alumni networks from either. It's not going to make that big of a difference one way or the other.

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Biglaw in CA is going to be REALLY difficult from either. Just make sure you adjust your expectations before attending either; be okay with PI work, low level government work, etc.

That said, what's your total COA? Like, sure they're offering the same amount of money. But if they're both offering like $15k a year I'd say both options are bad. Are you getting in-state tuition?

Need more info before giving a good answer, but in general I'd say take UCI if you want SoCal and Davis if you want Sacramento/some chance at the Bay Area.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock in the alumni networks from either. It's not going to make that big of a difference one way or the other.
I'm in-state, and I'm getting good enough tuition at both that I would graduate from either without any debt. I would be happy in the Bay Area or in SoCal

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:37 pm

retake for ucla/usc/berk or SLS

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:53 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:I'm in-state, and I'm getting good enough tuition at both that I would graduate from either without any debt. I would be happy in the Bay Area or in SoCal
Alright, we're getting somewhere. The most important question is still this though: are you okay with not landing biglaw? Because it's unlikely from either one so you'll need alternative plans in the likely event you don't land biglaw. If you'd be happy with the median outcome at either school, then it becomes easier to recommend one.

If you don't have a preference b/t NorCal and SoCal I'd probably just choose whichever school you prefer on an "emotional" level. That said, as far as SoCal goes, would you be okay with ending up in the OC instead of LA or SD? That's where UCI's strength is gonna be maximized, so if you're targeting LA in particular I think you'll be at disadvantage against the USC/UCLA kids.

Regarding Davis, would you be happy with Sacramento in particular? I don't have exact numbers, but I know a lot of UCD grads end up there. You're more likely to end up there than SF, so take that into account. If you don't want Sac I'd say just go with UCI.

Also, just out of curiosity, is the CoL being covered by savings or something? I think UCD/UCI in a vacuum are both defensible if you graduate with really low debt, unless you're having to drain a lot of personal savings.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:55 pm

khaleesi_k wrote: I'm in-state, and I'm getting good enough tuition at both that I would graduate from either without any debt. I would be happy in the Bay Area or in SoCal
Which place do you prefer to live? If costs are equal, go to whichever place you want to live at upon graduation because both schools are pretty regional. As a general rule of thumb, you will have a lot more luck getting interviews and networking if you are in the geographical market.

As others have stated, only attend if you are okay with not getting Biglaw. At that price, they are both good schools with decent overall employment stats. But only about 15-20% of students big law so there's about an 80% chance it won't happen.

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
khaleesi_k wrote:I'm in-state, and I'm getting good enough tuition at both that I would graduate from either without any debt. I would be happy in the Bay Area or in SoCal
Alright, we're getting somewhere. The most important question is still this though: are you okay with not landing biglaw? Because it's unlikely from either one so you'll need alternative plans in the likely event you don't land biglaw. If you'd be happy with the median outcome at either school, then it becomes easier to recommend one.

If you don't have a preference b/t NorCal and SoCal I'd probably just choose whichever school you prefer on an "emotional" level. That said, as far as SoCal goes, would you be okay with ending up in the OC instead of LA or SD? That's where UCI's strength is gonna be maximized, so if you're targeting LA in particular I think you'll be at disadvantage against the USC/UCLA kids.

Regarding Davis, would you be happy with Sacramento in particular? I don't have exact numbers, but I know a lot of UCD grads end up there. You're more likely to end up there than SF, so take that into account. If you don't want Sac I'd say just go with UCI.

Also, just out of curiosity, is the CoL being covered by savings or something? I think UCD/UCI in a vacuum are both defensible if you graduate with really low debt, unless you're having to drain a lot of personal savings.
OP this is really good advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote: Also, just out of curiosity, is the CoL being covered by savings or something? I think UCD/UCI in a vacuum are both defensible if you graduate with really low debt, unless you're having to drain a lot of personal savings.
From my knowledge, both schools can give out more than just full tuition. He/she could be one of those students getting an extra $5k - $8k a year on top of full tuition. I mean that doesn't cover everything, but it is free rent the whole way if you play your cards right.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:07 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote: Also, just out of curiosity, is the CoL being covered by savings or something? I think UCD/UCI in a vacuum are both defensible if you graduate with really low debt, unless you're having to drain a lot of personal savings.
From my knowledge, both schools can give out more than just full tuition. He/she could be one of those students getting an extra $5k - $8k a year on top of full tuition. I mean that doesn't cover everything, but it is free rent the whole way if you play your cards right.
Oh, for sure. That'd be a badass outcome too.

Mostly just wanna make sure they're not going to have to use like high five figures/six figures in their own money to graduate debt free. I'd be leery of either school if you have to drain substantial amounts of personal money to attend affordably.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

okay, well if we're gonna play like OP shouldn't retake based on employment goals, then they should go to UCD because Davis is a better city than irvine.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:15 pm

This is the third time you're going through the "UCI/similar/take-a-year-off" debate. You've been consistently told to take a year off and retake for your goals. Please, start listening.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Oh, wasn't aware the OP has asked about this before.

To be fair, if they're CA biglaw or bust, I don't think anything short of HYS + Berk is really going to give them a healthy chance at that outcome. Hell, I chose UCLA with the express knowledge that I'm statistically unlikely to get biglaw.

If OP is thinking of sitting out and reapplying, I'd recommend they do that because everyone should take time b/t UG and law school. But if they're not biglaw or bust, I think Davis & Irvine are defensible. Has OP made it clear they're biglaw or bust?
amta wrote:Davis is a better city than irvine.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Has OP made it clear they're biglaw or bust?
It depends on the thread. Generally, the only articulated goal has been CA biglaw and federal clerkship.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Agreed. Irvine has to be one of the most boring cities ever. However, Irvine is closer to way more cool stuff in proximity.

My cousin asked me where she should go to school. I told her if she has a car, UCI. If she doesn't, UCD for sure.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:This is the third time you're going through the "UCI/similar/take-a-year-off" debate. You've been consistently told to take a year off and retake for your goals. Please, start listening.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:35 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Agreed. Irvine has to be one of the most boring cities ever. However, Irvine is closer to way more cool stuff in proximity.

My cousin asked me where she should go to school. I told her if she has a car, UCI. If she doesn't, UCD for sure.
I hate SoCal and agree that Irvine is boring, but have you been to Davis?
Seriously, has it drastically changed in the last 2 years (I have family there)?

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 pm

HEY everyone so I just got into Notre Dame!

I'm guessing that's probably better than both? Or would prospects in California be really rough from there?
Last edited by khaleesi_k on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm

amta wrote:okay, well if we're gonna play like OP shouldn't retake based on employment goals, then they should go to UCD because Davis is a better city than irvine.
Man Irvine is awesome. My buddy who went there said that Kobe works out in the UCI campus gym from time to time, so there's that. Plus way more to do near LA than around Davis. So if we're basing this solely on geography, I vote UCI.

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:This is the third time you're going through the "UCI/similar/take-a-year-off" debate. You've been consistently told to take a year off and retake for your goals. Please, start listening.
I'm not willing to take a year off but thank you for the advice anyways!

Also I've stated big law is the ultimate goal - and it is - but I would also be completely fine with working in a medium sized private firm. I just want to go to a school that will have the potential to open those doors for me.
Last edited by khaleesi_k on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:
Not gonna happen bruh
Getting California biglaw from these schools is not gonna happen bruh

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:HEY everyone so I just got into Notre Dame!

I'm guessing that's probably better than both? Or would prospects in California be really rough from there?
Prospects to California will be grim.

Listen--you need to make decision. People have offered you all of the good advice you're going to get on this (in multiple different threads).

None of the options you have are great. If you want CA, do not go to Notre Dame. Flip a coin and go to UCI or UCD (though I would vote UCI).

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
khaleesi_k wrote:HEY everyone so I just got into Notre Dame!

Prospects to California will be grim.

Listen--you need to make decision. People have offered you all of the good advice you're going to get on this (in multiple different threads).

None of the options you have are great. If you want CA, do not go to Notre Dame. Flip a coin and go to UCI or UCD (though I would vote UCI).
Thank you!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:
Not gonna happen bruh. I have solid connections in the California biglaw legal field and I'm not concerned about landing top 10-20 percent of my class if I go to UCI/UCD... hence me asking for the best advice given those two schools (and now Notre Dame as well). So I'd appreciate it if feedback where given based on that - I am not willing to take a year off. Thanks!
This also is an obnoxious statement. Unless these "solid connections" have told you unconditionally that they will give you a job, these connections mean next to nothing aside from maybe getting your resume on top of the stack or getting you a screener. If you don't have the grades, you don't get the job. This is coming from a practicing attorney with experience at two different V50s (including on the recruiting committee).

That brings us to your next statement--grades. Do not assume that you are going to be in top 10-20%. You are a 0L and have no idea what it takes. Having done well in college is no predictor because guess what--all of your other classmates did well too. The curve is the beast that humbles and destroys dreams.

As everyone has said before, you need to reset your expectations.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”