Reapplying Next Year Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Purple Ranger

New

Reapplying Next Year

Post by Purple Ranger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm

So I'm doing the "smart" thing and retaking the LSAT. It'll be my fourth time highest was 162 (eligible in December).

As far as applications are considered should I get different recommendations, write different personal statements, and different diversity statements for the schools I'm reapplying for? It'd be hard for me to write a different diversity statement.

Would I need to write and addendum on why I took the LSAT 4 times?

Should I apply earlier and tell the schools I'm taking the December LSAT or should I wait until after my score to submit applications?

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Reapplying Next Year

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 pm

re-write all your essays. they can be the same theme but rephrase things, change words, make it cleaner. there is always a way to change your essays and make them better. LOR, depending on how old they are, you might want to ask your professors to update them. or adding one new one I think would work.

write why x essays. I'm not sure about the addendum. What would be in it? Did you have a medical reason for not doing well the first 3 times?

I would probably wait for your new score to send your apps, otherwise schools will look at your last 3 scores and probably sort you into their designated piles based off that

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:re-write all your essays. they can be the same theme but rephrase things, change words, make it cleaner. there is always a way to change your essays and make them better. LOR, depending on how old they are, you might want to ask your professors to update them. or adding one new one I think would work.

write why x essays. I'm not sure about the addendum. What would be in it? Did you have a medical reason for not doing well the first 3 times?

I would probably wait for your new score to send your apps, otherwise schools will look at your last 3 scores and probably sort you into their designated piles based off that
Mostly spot on, but the last part is exactly why you can include an LSAT addendum explaining that you are sitting for the December exam and request they withhold a decision until that score is in. They'll already see you're registered for the exam through LSAC, but it's a great opportunity to explain what your difficulties are while preventing them from judging prematurely. And that way you wouldn't have to wait to apply.

It's probably fine to do it your way since January isn't painfully late for admissions, but you can just as easily apply and ask them to wait. They obviously weren't going to have a different opinion of you pre-LSAT anyway, so submitting the addendum will only reinforce them not yet waitlisting you or rejecting you before that score comes back, which I guess functionally puts you in the same position as waiting to apply would. So while they're functionally the same, I tend to err on giving admissions extra information to round out a candidate (which the LSAT addendum could do) plus will get you on their radar earlier and more often. It's probably just six of one, half dozen of the other in the end and I'm quibbling needlessly. But hey, isn't that what this place is for?!

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:34 pm

UVA2B wrote: But hey, isn't that what this place is for?!
this is exactly what this place is for! don't think you can go wrong either way OP, but UVA makes a good point

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 pm

No reason to update LOR unless you think you can get a better one or just like wasting your professors' time. I used 2 LOR this cycle that I first put on file with LSAC in 2012.

It probably doesn't matter that much if you use the same essays (unless they suck); I've read people having perfectly fine second cycles on here without changing a thing. If you have a much higher LSAT this time, that's what the adcoms will care most about. But I'm with the coke guy above: if you can make 'em better, and you've got the time, why not try?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”