Am I a good candidate for Northwestern ED? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
VeiledProtectorate

New

Am I a good candidate for Northwestern ED?

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm

I've been told that a splitter's best shot at a T13 full ride is often Northwestern's early decision. I'll be applying in the fall and am wondering if this is a viable option for me. Any advice is appreciated!

Stats: 3.6X/178
URM: Mexican
WE: KJD (sort of, graduating in May. Would do some entry-level political work in the interim between ugrad and law school).
UG: Massive state school
Softs: Mediocre

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: Am I a good candidate for Northwestern ED?

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

I wouldn't consider you a splitter. I believe you have a shot at serious money at several t6 including HYS. I think NU ED would be a big mistake. You need to apply everywhere in the t14/13. You'll get fee waivers for most. In the meantime start reading through the URM thread. FYI understand that I'm saying this as someone who loves NU and may well be there in the fall.
Last edited by TripleM on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Agree with the above and just to add on (in case OP's not aware) your numbers will mean that you'll get large scholarships in the T13 if not T6; you can probably negotiate them against each other to maximize your scholarships. That's why you shouldn't NU ED, because you have a good potential to do better.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Alexandros wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:Agree with the above and just to add on (in case OP's not aware) your numbers will mean that you'll get large scholarships in the T13 if not T6; you can probably negotiate them against each other to maximize your scholarships. That's why you shouldn't NU ED, because you have a good potential to do better.
+1
For example: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/edith1921
Wow, 210K at UChi is insane. Pretty sure that would start to cover some of the living expenses as well? Lol I love how USC only offers 135K; it's one thing to yield protect but that's just half-assing things
Last edited by KunAgnis on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Alexandros wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:Agree with the above and just to add on (in case OP's not aware) your numbers will mean that you'll get large scholarships in the T13 if not T6; you can probably negotiate them against each other to maximize your scholarships. That's why you shouldn't NU ED, because you have a good potential to do better.
+1
For example: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/edith1921
Wow, 210K at UChi is insane. Pretty sure that would start to cover some of the living expenses as well?
Yeah, Rubies come with living stipends.
Well looks like this Edith person won law school haha

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Do we have ourselves a good ol' fashioned hog pile here? I THINK SO.

In all seriousness OP, you are perfectly situated to negotiate and have options for idealizing your options. No one can definitively say you'll get a full ride anywhere (they really are more than just a numbers game, but they are a numbers game first), but you're likely to get better options than the NU ED (unless I'm mistaken, isn't that just a $150k guaranteed? That isn't even full tuition). Hold off on the ED, apply throughout the T13 (or T14 if you have a special place in your heart for GULC and want to apply as broadly as possible), and see what offers come up. Once you have offers, figure out which option is the best. It'd be a really unfortunate short sale to ED NU if you could've (potentially) ended up with a Ruby at Chicago. It's literally the better version of the NU ED in every way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VeiledProtectorate

New

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:21 pm

I would imagine my GPA disqualifies me from the Ruby/Hamilton game, but your point is well taken. My main concern was that my GPA was too high, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to suggest that and have the post to come off as an annoying humblebrag. Appreciate the feedback from everyone!

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm

VeiledProtectorate wrote:I would imagine my GPA disqualifies me from the Ruby/Hamilton game, but your point is well taken. My main concern was that my GPA was too high, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to suggest that and have the post to come off as an annoying humblebrag. Appreciate the feedback from everyone!
Named scholarships aren't the only game in town. There's a lot of money, up to and including full rides, that is awarded generically as "merit aid". My numbers are inferior to yours in every way imaginable and I'm getting 60 and 70% offers at top 10 schools. If you were to apply early with your numbers I would be shocked if you weren't getting full rides to schools in the top six. If the initial offers weren't full ride, you would be able to negotiate upwards to something darn near full ride.
You are dramatically underestimating your value to the schools. That's a serious problem in the application game. If you want to talk more about why you need to up your expectations drop me a PM. I am giving the advice that I wish someone would have given me when I was in undergrad.
You've earned a great GPA, you scored great on the LSAT. But before you do anything else in this application process you need to talk to some folks and come to a real good understanding of what your hand is in this game. Do not begin with any portion of next cycles process until you have spent some time studying up on this. Definitely do not, do not, do not apply early decision anywhere until you spent a lot of time schooling yourself. Again, I'd be happy to PM with you and explain in more detail what I mean.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”